Natural stone patio breaking up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We layed a natural stone patio a couple of years ago but think we maybe should of sealed it as some have started to break . Can some one recommend what’s best to use?.

Have attached a pic to to show what is happening . Also is there anything you can use to repair it?.

Thanks
Mike
155A88E5-F883-4655-8306-30B05E1EF434.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Its frosted, shaled off.
Not a lot you can do really, you could move that slad to a corner and put a good one back

I was thinking it's probably Indian sandstone.

Cheap and attractive, but you have to keep it free of water, so lay it with a good fall.

My neighbour used it, laid flat, so it is constantly damp, and looks dirty as it attracts moss, lichen and dirt. If it ever freezes with puddles or standing water, you can expect it to spall.

I have some with a good fall, and mine is holding its colour and surface.

Presumably it's now too late for you to relay yours. Your spalled areas will now be hollows that will hold water in puddles and this will accelerate future damage.

You can try an epoxy resin, but its a unstable surface so anything you try will be temporary

Get some araldite type epoxy, so you can mix it, then add some fine sand or grit similar colour to slab.
Even crush some stone into fine dust.
Apply and that's about it really.

Its a bodge but will work.

Or just use as is with no sand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back