riven patio stone

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in the US and have a question about British "riven" patio stone, what we call "natural cleft" stone. When you go to a stone-yard to buy it, was it sawn by the quarry so that it has a perfectly straight edge, leaving the customer to fabricate a natural edge?

Sponsored Links
They're generally sold as 'utility slabs' with limited decorative function. I quite like them so built my rear patio with them, but remember the builder's yard telling me that they are really just for laying sheds on or for areas with lots of foot traffic.

There are lots of other types of slabs with 'natural' edges however, which are not straight and more 'chipped' in various shapes.

We get "Indian Sandstone" that has a riven face and edges, but a milled back. Some of those have a distinct curve to them that has to be allowed for when placing them next to each other.

Sponsored Links
We get "Indian Sandstone" that has a riven face and edges, but a milled back. Some of those have a distinct curve to them that has to be allowed for when placing them next to each other.
That's more than we get here. We get a sawn edge, so that even the stone with a natural surface, when installed, looks like floor tile at the joints, unless many hours are spent beforehand "fettling" the edges with a pitching chisel or mallet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back