Drainage from a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a patio built up to a low herb bed wall on 2 sides on the lower edge of the area, so in a heavy rainfall we get standing water up to about half way across the area - the wall makes a very effective dam! The fact that the patio is made of natural sandstone with a riven face doesn't help; the slabs themselves help water to sit because their dips and ledges create raised 'dams' (unlike a flat paving slab type surface from which the water could run unimpeded). Beyond the wall and the herb bed is a lower area of rough ground onto which I could drain the patio if I could tunnel under the bed from a point somewhere near the middle of the patio - where I could fit a drain and short vertical sump (hope that makes sense).
Does anyone have any suggestions about augers or drilling equipment (preferably hireable) that would do the job? I could drill a sloping hole under the patio from outside the area and line it with a pipe, but can't find any source for such an auger/drill. All ideas very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Thanks; I did think of the hire shop option, but none of those in my area (and that includes all the usual Jewson/HSS/Speedy etc) have anything listed. What would you suggest I ask for?

do it by hand. weve fitted them before, easy to do with a small trowel.

If you can find a plumber who would have any intrest in doing drainage and digging a hole, then get him stuffed and mounted.

Sponsored Links
do it by hand. weve fitted them before, easy to do with a small trowel.

If you can find a plumber who would have any intrest in doing drainage and digging a hole, then get him stuffed and mounted.

Thanks - could you explain what you mean by 'do it' and 'fitted them before'?

do it = dig the hole

fitted them before = dig a small hole in the patio about 100mm diameter and dig down by hand, then place a perforated drainage pipe and gulley, and backfill with shingle to make a small soakaway

make sense now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back