Need a bit of advice painting the outside of my house please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just joined the forum and would like to say Hi,
I need a bit of advice, I plan to paint the outside of my house, can't afford to hire a painter at present as I'm not working.
I'm pretty ok ish at painting and done a pretty decent job on the inside of our home over the years, obviously a lot slower than a time served painter and not to there standard but I'm ok at it if I take my time.
I have never painted the outside so not sure about which make of paint to purchase, I've got a 1930s terraced house, red brick, so it's just around the bay windows, ledges and a pebble dashed bit in between top and bottom of bay windows.
At present I have flakey brown paint on the ledges, I just plan to paint them white along with the rest of the bay windows.
Do I use an undercoat for masonary or is it 2 good coats of paint? Also do you gloss the window ledges or is it just masonry paint?
Do I use a stableiseing solution on the bare surface?
Do I attempt to burn the old paint off with a heat gun, I have UPC windows so a bit worried about doing that or scrape and sand?
A friend gave me some filler external before he moved abroad as I have cracks right in the middle of both bay window ledges.
Sorry to rabble on but don't want to make a mess of it and end up with the Mrs moaning for months on end, lol
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Firstly dont use any Heat Source (Hot Air Stripper/ etc) to remove paint, If you do,
have a direct open line to your local Fire Station.

Rub woodwork down with a electrical sander if its that bad, small hand held ones (Mouse) are good.
Prime bare woodwork (I use Dulux Trade Weathershield Products) expensive, but works well here, (even with the sea air/salts etc)
Wash down all woodwork/ rendering first with Water Pressure jet to clean off.
1/2 coats undercoat and one of gloss.
Standard exterior fillers should do the trick,
Rendering, only use Stabiliser if its powderey,
2 coats of Exterior Masonry paint should do it, ( thin down as instructions)
When painting the rendering if its a large area and you want a break (Tea Time) finish off at a "natural break" i.e rainwater down pipe, aerial cable, corner of wall, etc , and you shouldnt get any paint lines on the rendering.

Most Important of all if using a ladder ensure its safe (tied off) and dont over reach yourself. ( if you have to go above first floor you should use some sort of scaffolding)

Good Luck and weather.

Good reply that, i'd just add that filler has a shelf life so your gift may not be any good.

Thanks fir the replys guys, its appreciated, the only wood in the outside if my house is the open porch and up at the roof near my guttering, think its called sofit boards maybe wrong.
Around my windows is all concrete masonary so that the main job, its peeling badly, si wadnt sure whether to burn it off or scrape it and sand the outsude window ledges, after your advice ill scrape and sand.
Do I use an undercoat for the outside window ledges, or 2 good coats of masio.ary paint?
My window ledges are powdery so I might use a stableising solution just on them.
Is Dulux the make to buy? For around the windows?
Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look like you will have anything causing you hassle there. Just follow the advise you have been givin then you should be fine. If you can scrap the paint off that ledge then go for it, if not then you could use the filler and taper out where the old paint is to give you a smoother surface.

As pigeon says cant see any major problems looks a good simple outside job, had to do a fair number of nightmare ones in the past,
clean/scrape off cill, clean off the green moss stain, if you get the cill back to its original with scrapers etc, you could give it a couple of coats of masonry paint, if not feather it off with filler, undercoat (2 coats) and gloss, your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back