Need a new Boiler as have no heating/hot water - Which Make?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have now been without hot water and heating for 6 days :( As you can all imagine its freezing in my house now... We have a 4 year old Ideal Boiler which has started leaking water and blowing fuses everytime the 'local' plumber changes something over the last few days.. So I had British Gas come out who have condemmed it......

So I have decided a new boiler is the way forward as Ideal were not interessted in my plight! :evil:

I have had quotes of £1400 for a Worcester Boiler and £1200 for a Main... Ive never heard of Main and British Gas said to not bother with that make?..

Any help - before I freeze.... :cry:

Sponsored Links
Worcester ok, Vaillant: products good, customer service bad, Broag, Viessmann, Remeha seem to be favourite on here. Ideal as you've found out arent....

Main is owned by the Baxi group,try and make sure which ever boiler you have it is SEDBUK band A

There are alot of unscruplous gits installing band B boilers even though they are condensing without actually informing the customer

Any band B boiler is alot cheaper to buy and will be phased out by next year

http://www.mainheating.co.uk/xml/24.htm

Sponsored Links
Not heard much feedback about Main boilers, the water heaters and cookers were ok, but so were Ideal boilers once! Out of the 2 you mention I think the extra £200 for the Worcester would be worth it, although others opinions may differ.

Hi,

We have now been without hot water and heating for 6 days

I have had quotes of £1400 for a Worcester Boiler and £1200 for a Main... Ive never heard of Main and British Gas said to not bother with that make?..

£1400 will not get you a good reliable boiler that will last more than a few years. IMHO if you can't afford to pay for a decent system right now is to just get fan heaters (id be surprised if you lasted 6 days without any) and fit an electric shower. Then just wait it out until the new year when you can a few quotes.

Hi,

We have now been without hot water and heating for 6 days

£1400 will not get you a good reliable boiler that will last more than a few years. IMHO if you can't afford to pay for a decent system right now is to just get fan heaters (id be surprised if you lasted 6 days without any) and fit an electric shower. Then just wait it out until the new year when you can a few quotes.

Yep - We have bought one electric heater from Argos and keep moving it from room to room... Dont have an electric shower so having to use the local Gym for showers....

Hi
Worcester is best, if its fitted by a recommended installer you will get 5 years parts and labour cover plus 10 years cover on the heat exchanger

Main one of baxi group not as good has either 1 year or 2 guarantee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back