No hot water but have heating?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope someone can help solve the puzzle of our hot water...we have NO HOT WATER which is a nightmare, our central heating is working fine and I have bled the system so that is not the problem :(

We had new boiler taps put in and since then it's not been right, now the waters freezing from both taps and we would really like a hot bath without having to carry the kettle and saucepans old school style up and down the stairs!

Someone mentioned it might be the diverted valve or diaphragm but just wanted to check everything before we fork out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Boiler make and model? New taps fitted to boiler? You mean isolators? Error codes or lights on boiler? We need a bit more to go on..... :eek:

It is a Worcester Bosch 240.

No error code and the hot water switch is on, temp is up high and the pilot light is on.

Sponsored Links
Also just ran hot water tap to check as the heating has been on a few hours since bleeding and it heated up fine hottest it's been for ages BUT only lasted around 10-15 seconds before returning to cold :(

Sounds very similar to a relatives problem.but on a different boiler.
On investigation it was found the diverter valve was not moving far enough.
This resulted in the valve not being in the correct position and also it had not gone far enough to trigger the micro switch to start the boiler in 'hot water mode'.
The control was based around a diaphragm housing. Water on each side of the diaphragm is of equal pressure until the hot tap is opened.
Opening the hot tap releases the pressure on one side and allows the diaphragm to move the valve across and trigger the micro switch at the end of its travel.
Diaphragms get holed and split so in operation the water on the pressurised side goes through the holes or splits and the valve does not move far enough.
So sounds like you need a new diaphragm or the valve could be sticking.
There would already be some hot water in the heat exchanger, which explains the first few seconds of hot water followed by cold.

diverter is sticking, it's associated diaphragm is holed or microswitch isn't making as previous post says. Microswitch housing could be broken I suppose, or the little plastic cap could have gone from the end of the diverter spindle, thus not making the microswitch.

So all in all it needs someone who knows what they are doing to see whats wrong and fix it.

Tony

Hi
We had new boiler taps put in and since then it's not been right

Post a photo of your boiler taps, when were they put in and if it affected your hot water did you not think to get the person who put them in back to look at it?

The diverter valve was sticking, got a man that know's what he is doing coming to fix it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help!

Do you ever get out Kent way, Tony? ;)

I sometimes go as far as Dartford for identifiable things. But generally try to stay in the easy to reach areas.

Kent is a large county. But went to Sittingbourne a week ago but that was to visit a friend. Although I did ofer to go and sort out someone's problem nearby but he did not want to spend the money as he still hoped to be able to DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back