worcester 240 rsf no hot water when central heating off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We have been experiencing issues with hot water for the past week in that we have had to turn the hot water tap on a lot more to get the boiler to turn on and supply hot water (when the central heating is off). When the central heating is on the hot water comes through but not as hot as usual.

Now, while the central heating is off and we turn the hot water tap on full whack the boiler doesn't come on at all. The little spindle comes out of the diverter valve just a little bit. This for me explains why the hot water is tepid when the central heating is on as the microswitch the spindle should touch allows more gas to burn giving proper hot water instead of tepid water.

I've had this happen little over 10 years ago and I replaced the diverter valve, which sorted the problem. It then became apparent that you can get a diaphragm kit to replace the diaphragm in the diverter valve.

I've read this forum post from two years ago:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=836938#836938

First of all, is it really that easy to replace the diaphragm on this diverter valve and where is best to get the diaphragm kit? Also, is there any different qualities or brands or are they all a generic diaphragm?

Thanks for your time in reading my post.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Jaysta

Sponsored Links
Advice deleted as he does not seem happy with it !

Tony

Any other replies most welcome. Is it easy to replace the diaphragm as suggested in the other post?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I already know that the diverter valve is at fault. All I'm asking is if the diaphragm is easy to replace or not?

i.e. could I replace the diaphragm without draining the boiler?

Again, any replies appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

it's not too bad to do, there are worse ones out there! Turn off the cold water at the mains stopcock (sometimes the boiler isolation cock can leak when messed about with) the heating system does not need draining

Cheers Andy,

So I'm assuming that I've got to drain the boiler though?

There doesn't seem to be a Worcester part no for this though so will a universal one do the job?

Thanks again,

Jay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back