Need a shallow warm deck flat roof...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I am extending my integral garage & having a change of use for a part of the existing garage. The extended garage & change of use spaces will be under a single flat roof.

However - I am restricted with the flat roof height due to an adjoining pitched roof which runs onto it. I have to increase the floor height for the change of use space by 150mm to form the required step into the garage space - and to level it with the existing habitable space into which it will flow. The new roof will be a warm deck with 100mm+ insulation.

All of this means I am now incredibly tight on head height for the newly formed habitable space - and will be down to around 210cm using traditional timber roof beams. Is there anything people could suggest - or are there shallower members available for supporting a flat roof? The spans are 4.8 metres and 5.7 metres.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sorry noseall - I meant where the flat roof meets the eaves of the existing pitched roof. There is also the added complication of a box gutter from the side elevation of the pitched roof which runs onto the flat roof at the highest point in a corner. Maybe some photo's of this would explain better :)

You can create a gutter in the insulation by using a thinner insulation. We usually do this when window cills are an issue.

Sponsored Links
Xenon - doesnt this create a cold spot in the roof?

Have you thought about a warm zinc roof? All the insulation can go on top of the rafters which helps with head room. :mrgreen:

What size (depth) timbers are you using for the roof structure? If you've taken them from the published load/span tables, they are a bit conservative. It's possible to use shallower joists in certain circumstances, eg by spacing them closer together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back