Need advice adding insulation to a stud wall

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had builders build a stud wall and insulate the roof in my garage - so I can work there (with a heater if required) in the winter

Everything looks ok and I'm happy with the result

But... I've just checked the edges of the stud wall that has had plaster boards put on...
There's a draught coming in!!

What do I do?
How do I get rid of the draught?

When getting advice about building a stud wall on this forum, I think someone mentioned foam that could be sprayed around the stud wall

I can't find any spray foam
The only thing I can find are stick on foam excluders - that you use for doors and windows

What should I be looking for?

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
Don't you have Google?
http://tooltray.com/Expanding-Fille...ping?gclid=CPawh47MhbICFVMbtAodzkwAsg[/QUOTE]
awesome
just what i need
but what should i do?
the gaps where air comes in is narrow
the best solution i can think of is to remove the plasterboard and then apply the foam and then screw the plasterboards back
this would be a massive problem as far as i can see

or should i just try and fill the gaps on the plaster board?

also... should i think about filling from the other side of the garage door?

Maybe his Google is broken?
lol
no, it's just that i'm not as clued up as u guys
i was searching for 'insulating foam' - as i said, all i could find where those strips for doors and windows

Sponsored Links
Poke a screwdriver thru the plasterboard and poke foam tube thru to seal, small hole to fill when set.

Poke a screwdriver thru the plasterboard and poke foam tube thru to seal, small hole to fill when set.
thanks for the reply - i haven't been able to reply until now
not sure if this would work

the air is coming through the side gaps. see the following pic:

cftK8.jpg

any ideas?

the only logical thing i can think of is removing the plaster boards and applying expansion foam - but just afraid i might have trouble putting boards back if the foam has set

suggestion: would it be a good idea to take off plaster boards, apply foam and then quickly put boards back - allowing the foam to seal?
is that a good or bad idea?

also: would it be a good idea to apply foam on the other side of the garage door? the concern here is that the foam would stick out and not look very nice?

any advice would be great

thanks

Looks tidy , just run dec caulk down seams and fill.
ok... this sounds a lot better solution to me - will be much neater
and given that the wall won't be moving, caulk should be ok

would u recommend anything on the outside - the garage door itself?
i'll take a pic of this later and will update this post
thanks

EDIT: i've just taken a pic of the garage door to illustrate

the gap is all around the garage door - behind it is now insulation material contained within a stud wall

can i, should i do anything about the gap on this side?

see below for the pic i took:

6IpdQ.jpg

@foxhole, i think i'd like to use foam - but am just afraid what it will turn out like
just want to know if is easy to sculpture before it fully dries
importantly: if i make a complete mess, how easy is it to remove?

thanks

You don't touch it before it dries, once dry can be carved easily [bread knife can be used].Spray area with water before foam as it helps it expand, use sparingly you will find it expands far further than anticipated, don't be in a hurry to trim any still wet will make a mess.[/b]

@foxhole, that sounds like good advice
i'll give it a go now
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back