Stud Wall - What To Do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a wall that I'd like to make flat, but I'm not entirely sure what the best way to go about it is. In the attached pic, there is a stud wall that separates the living and dining room, where the owners before us had the attached garage converted into a dining room. Originally there looks to have been one large hole, and then at some point the stud wall and doorway was added. I'd like to make it completely flat, instead of the indent. I'm stuck between adding another stud wall and then capping it off against the already there stud wall, or tearing down the existing wall, and making a thicker stud wall, or getting someone in to brick it up instead.

If anyone has any advice that would be great, thanks
IMG_20210503_122012.jpg

Sponsored Links
Depends if you want the recess in the dining room or not? New stud wall then remake door lining , insulated.

Sponsored Links
Depends if you want the recess in the dining room or not? New stud wall then remake door lining , insulated.

Is there a reason why the recess needs to exist on either side? Can I build another stud wall on the living room side and then bridge the two ends together as such? Or is that just a stupid idea?

Is there a reason why the recess needs to exist on either side? Can I build another stud wall on the living room side and then bridge the two ends together as such? Or is that just a stupid idea?
No. Yes. Yes and no

Last edited by a moderator:
To reiterate...

No

Yes, yes

...and no. So I don"t think that building another stud wall and tieing it in to the original is a bad idea...

Ah sorry about that. Many thanks for your help. Now I better start planning it! Haha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back