Cover up the side of a stud wall in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, hoping my pics have worked in the snazzy new site...!

I'm a bit stuck with how to finish the edge of a shower - I've built up a bit of a stud wall to shield pipes and tile over, but the edge is presenting a challenge...

The gap is not quite uniform, either front to back or side to side, and the end stud had to be recessed slightly to steer clear of the edge of the blocks it's screwed into/door frame (that's got a noticeable slant on it...!)

But I don't even know what's out there that could be used to solve this. I'd consider tiling it but can't think how best to deal with the funny angles as I'd need to add something in there as 'backing' (that might not make sense to a normal person!) - also the tolerances are VERY tight with clearance for the door...

Any thoughts welcome here!
IMG_20150613_125825.jpg
IMG_20150613_125622296.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think the better half might be an absent half if starting again is suggested!

Thanks for confirming what I was avoiding acknowledging! Entirely my fault as I didn't cater for extra depth on the side wall from aquapanel which left it all very tight to the door frame etc

I was looking again last night, I think either packing it out and using something like that PVC cladding to give an even finish, or I might see if I can get a strip of aquapanel down there and tile it... The door is shot anyway so I suppose the clearances can be adjusted with the new one if it's too tight.

Is there much point in going down the avenue of removing the door [casing], fitting a new one that's square and gives a shade more clearance? Not too sure on the extra hassle replacing the [casing] would be...

Last edited:
Can you pack it out with plasterboard as far down as you can (use 9mm if necessary), stick some scrim tape to the bottom if it's not deep enough for plasterboard, then skim it?

Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you have a 30" door you could reduce to 27" which gives the extra room you need.

If you have a 30" door you could reduce to 27" which gives the extra room you need.
Wish I were that lucky, just measured up and 27" already.

Lots of self-kicking going on - got to learn somehow though I guess!
Wondering if changing the door to open onto the landing might give me the breathing room required...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back