Stud wall and Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm re-doing my bathroom. I removed the 660mm long breeze block wall to the right of the entrance door. Then I changed my mind about something and I need to put in a wall again, but this time I feel it's more convenient to put up a timber stud wall.

This wall will become one side of a shower cubicle. I intend to skim the plasterboard with plaster (as you do) and then tile over the wall on the shower side.

Just wondering if there are any things I need to do, or special materials I may need, concerning ensuring the water integrity of this new stud wall. Thanks. Rich

P.S. I can appreciate that much depends on whether I do use regular tiles or not. I'm also just looking to see if there is a better option than regular tiling.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Since I made my first post, I've had a thought that maybe I should go with an alternative to tiles. Might mean I won't need special materials for the wall, or waterproofing steps.

Use aqua panel ( cement board) for shower walls whatever the final covering.

OK, I'll use the water-proof aqua "tile panel". If I do, then it actually allows me to place regular tiles directly onto it. The door frames in my house are recessed on one side, the recess being about 7mm deep by about 63mm. The distance from the edge of the recesses to the surface of the frame is about 17mm. I'm going to buy stud timber that is 2400mm x 63mm x 38mm.

On the none shower side, I'll affix 12.5mm thick regular plaster board. Then I'll skim with regular finishing plaster to a thickness of 4.5mm (17mm - 12.5mm).

Now, on the shower side, if I went for regular tiles, the idea would be to seek to affix these directly to the aqua tile panel. If I wanted to ensure the edge of the door frame was covered by tile, that would require the surface of that tile board to be level with the surface of the door frame. If I did that I'd have to put a small framework set into the stud frame of 4.5mm depth (4.5mm + 12.5mm). 12.5mm being thickness of tile panel.

Now, if I assume that a tile will stand proud of the tile panel by say 4.5mm (thickness of adhesive), and if the tile top surface was to simply be made level with the door frame surface, in that case I have no room! Because just a 9mm tile panel + thickness of a tile (say 8mm) comes to 17mm.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
And I do wonder that if I were to use a plastic sheet alternative to tiles, whether I would be okay to use external plywood. If I shave off 1mm from the studs, so the distance between the stud edge and the door frame side edge is 18mm, then 18mm thick plywood would fit such that it would be level with the door frame side edge. This might not be a good solution for tiles, but probably okay for plastic board substitute for tiles. And I could get away with a fairly thin plastic sheet.

Last edited:
Cement board available at 6 and 12mm , tile cement around 3mm , tiles from 6 mm thick, or shower panel which can be from 8 -11 mm thick depending on type.

My preference would be to use Reco Surfaces "Azure" product. But I'd need two "full size" that would cost me £200. That's a lot of money for me, my budget does not allow this, unless I say "What the hell". I'd like to pay about £100 for two panels. Strictly speaking, if I use plastic panels, which are (I guess) 100% waterproof, I could probably use almost any type of back panel.

https://www.recosurfaces.com/mosaic-acrylic-shower-panels/mixed-mosaic-acrylic-shower-panels/

Other places I've been:

http://www.nationalplastics.co.uk/m...0mm-x-2-7m-x-4-standard-range-consortias.html

http://www.nationalplastics.co.uk/marble-blue-panel-10mm-x-1m-x-2-4m-x-1-wide-range-geopanel.html

https://www.cabp.co.uk/Solid-Sheets...ft-Hygienic-Wall-Cladding-White_FP32412WH.htm

http://www.plasticsheets.com/shower-panels-cut-to-size/

Last edited:
I'm thinking of using 6mm plywood as backing for bathroom panels. The frame I'll make has 4 "windows", each being 330mm x 1220mm. So, distances between points of attachment are not large, well, at least in the horizontal direction. Not sure if I need to break up in the vertical direction into thirds (if so the "windows" would be 330mm x 813mm). Can I use plywood described as "non structural"? If 6mm is too thin, then I need telling. :) Thanks.

Last edited:
The reason being if you can put up plaster board to make a wall, it must be kosher to put in non structural plywood. I've gone for 9mm thick non structural plywood. Using 9mm stripwood so the face of the plywood can be flush with the door frame edge.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back