Stud wall with large recessed niche

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a stud wall in bathroom, 2200x1710 to hide plumbing/recessed taps.

A 1500 bath will sit alongside the 1770 width of the wall.

Original plan was 50x100mm studs with tile backer board attached and tiled.

Wife has just asked for a recessed niche the length of the bath.
16408678523571966031300938114588.jpg

I'm unsure of the best way to lay out the studs with such a big gap in the middle. Slightly concerned the top of the niche may sag?

How's this for a starter for 10

16408681542498834989541888815338.jpg

All using 50x100 cls

Will this work? Any advise or better ideas? I guess I could run 2 bits of angle iron supporting the beam labelled "top" if sag is an issue?

Or maybe large angle brackets liberally placed along the horizontal top stud, and, the studs resting on it?

Or am I worrying about nothing and that'll be fine

Appreciate any advice

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In addition to above,
You need a top plate on ceiling and bottom plate on floor.

And for the uprights separation you should consider the width of the backer/plasterboard so plasterboard has something to screw to and be supported for their entire height (40cm or 60cm separation is normal for 120cm wide boards).

Fill gaps between studs with insulation to keep backer/plasterboard and tiles warmer (reduces condensation on tiles and toilet noises outside room).

Also consider putting wood (studs or noggins) behind backer/plasterboard wherever you need to screw something. For example, toilet paper holder, mirror, uprights for glass screen, toilet cistern, curtain rail.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Forgot to add, in niche, slope tiles slightly forward so that any water or condensation runs forward (does not collect at back).

2 things:
don't use plasterboard, and see if you can get a pre made niche the size you need. It means it much less likely to leak.

Edit, just seen you are using backer board. Ignore point one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back