Need advice fixing a door

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a door that is spilt in 2 and held together
One of the inner sides has come off
See pictures below

I thought it would be a good idea to take the whole side out and then glue back in - else, it would have been hard for me to glue in place

I need advice on what to do to fix?

Should I use wood glue? If so, what type?
I got some from my local DIY shop it's fast drying - it says it dries in 10 min
Or would I better off getting slower drying glue??

The side that has come off, it's almost split in 2 - what do I do about this?
Will just glue be enough?
I was thinking it would be great if I could somehow add a piece of metal on the side to hold it together and make sure it didn't break again - though doing this would require somehow taking some of the wood off to git the metal in
(The idea about the metal: I just made up! I thought it would be a good idea!)

ALSO do I need some sort of vice to hold the wood together??
If using glue, I would imagine this is needed
I searched on eBay for 'mini vice' and 'mini clamp' - I can't see anything that would do the job

The pictures below show the door and the part that is loose
In the first pic I've put in place just to show
In the second, it's just the inner piece of wood

2s6oew2.jpg

1217vko.jpg

ANY help would be really appreciated

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
I can't understand your pictures

1) they are so huge my screen won't display them whole

2) you need to stand back and take a wider view so I can see the whole door from the side.

Don't know about the second pic.

The first one, ah! so familiar. Done a whole housing estate a few years ago where almost all the doors in every house had this problem ( outer skin coming off) and had to be replaced or repaired.

The doors were from Canada, and were constructed with a faulty batch of glue, that's the story we were told.

Anyway, for now, you could try squeezing some pva in the faulty areas, g clamps and see how it goes.

Really depends how much of the laminate/skin is coming off.

Steve

Either PVA glue squeezed in then clamped overnight. Personally, I'd use Titebond aliphatic resin glue, clamped overnight. Clean any glue off before it sets though.

Sponsored Links
The above advice about repairing is all good. Resin stronger than PVA.

However - why did this break? If it was somebody stumbling into it or little Johnny swinging from the handle, fair enough - but if it's poor wood (looks ok, not knotted but quite wide grained), poor construction or bad design, it's going to fail again.

Some reinforcing like your metal idea /could/ work, but hard to say from here. If it's on a hinged edge then adding more hinges spreads the load, but maybe a rethink is in order?

However - why did this break? If it was somebody stumbling into it or little Johnny swinging from the handle, fair enough - but if it's poor wood (looks ok, not knotted but quite wide grained), poor construction or bad design, it's going to fail again.
r u psychic or what?
yes, it was the little one
he's 20 months and has sooo much energy

Some reinforcing like your metal idea /could/ work, but hard to say from here. If it's on a hinged edge then adding more hinges spreads the load, but maybe a rethink is in order?
the wood is ok, but it's flimsy wood i would say
not hinged - held in place at the top and bottom
the problem is that if u apply force, it will just break again
no idea what to do to be honest, apart from fix and hope the little one grows up quick!

so where did it break? is it a bi-fold door? Did the centre hinge pull out? Or did sprog hanging on the handle pull the face off?

how about some better pictures?

so where did it break? is it a bi-fold door? Did the centre hinge pull out? Or did sprog hanging on the handle pull the face off?

how about some better pictures?
bi fold - erm, don't know what that is :)
it folds in the middle

he wasnt hanging
we're not sure how he broke it!
if u apply pressure, because it's on a hinge + nothing to stop it from being pushed beyond the point it should be - it's very easy to break

i'll try and upload some pics a little later

thanks for all the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back