Need advice on beading - not happy with results :(

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got laminate flooring recently.

I'm really not happy with the beading - it looks so awful. Please see pics below.

They have stapled the laminate in place. I was shocked and horrified.
Firstly there seemed to be large chunks missing where the stapled had gone in - I did NOT like.
Secondly (and worse!) there where staples sticking out galore! :(

After they had put down just 2 small pieces, I pointed out.
They laughed at me and said in the modern days staples are used in place of glue. They said the glue would come undone after an amount of time.

Thirdly, they have used a brown filler to fill in gaps. The brown does NOT match the laminate and looks a terrible horrible brown colour. :(

Fourthly... the corner pieces have ALL got chipped and the skin has just peeled off. It looks so horrible. Corner pieces are prone to be damaged because of exposure and being hit. But for EVERY single corner to have this problem?? Surely this is because of poor materials used?

crOFRI.jpg

yGhkip.jpg

1. Staple pins??? I looked at a youtube video and there was some guy using as well - he didnt show any close ups. Is it normal to leave big chunks missing where the staple has gone in?

2. Pin sticking out? Surely that's just not holding down the stapler hard enough when stapling?

3. There are places where a stapler cant be used, like in front of a fire place - here, they should have used glue surely? This is what I saw on a youtube video.

4. How can one avoid corners peeling off? I mean it seemed like they ALL peeled off 5 min after install.

5. Is it possible to at least get a closer shade of brown for the filling? It looks so horrible.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Get him back and say your not happy ? What qualifications did he have ? Was it a cheap job?
Staples instead of pins , not undercutting , using filler which blocks expansion , not gluing the external.
Any pics of the Laminate?

Looks like a bad DIY Job

he's come back a few times - each time something is forgotten and he cant finish.
not a cheapo job. he's been doing professional for 6 years. the other guy with him has done for 12 years.

laminate - it's actually not bad. we love it. i dont think i would do any justice showing. it looks old fashioned and bumpy and lumpy - it looks really nice.
you can see in the pics above a glimpse of it.

1. are staples ok? (was a professional staple gun - i'm sure it was electrical). staples - whatever happens u get a dirty gap where the damn thing has gone in. :(
2. if not staples - what are the choices? what would a professional use?
3. should he NOT have used filler at all? looks like silicone filler. i hate the filler - but what other choice? there are places where nothing else would really do - cant put beading for example.
4. and corners? :( why why why do the corners start peeling sooo quickly?

thanks

He is using brad gun without its rubber tip which prevents against damage from gun impact.
Sloppy job.
Would have looked better to fit a white trim to match the skirting as it can be repaired easily if damaged during fitting.
As mentioned any fixed vertical surfaces should have been undercut.

Sponsored Links
If any of my fitters produced a professional job of that standard, they would be fired.

The scotia can be pinned so there's far less visual impact, the filling and lack of undercutting is DIY standard not professional and the quality of the mitres on the scotia is very poor so either badly measured or poorly cut on inappropriate or blunt equipment.

I've always hated those Scotia fillets. The only laminate floors I've done I bit the bullet and lifted the skirting boards by 10mm- tedious job and commercially prohibitively expensive on time but looks so much better. That does look like a very shoddy job. The corner damage- did he cut them on the wrong side of his saw- looks like it, probably doing 1 cut for 2 corners with an aged blade. I'd be very tempted to pay for the materials (the floor anyway) and invite them to sue you for the rest (don't pay for the scotias, they're wrecked and need replacing).

Did you supply the materials? Those trims look like the cheap (£1 a length) ones I buy from the car boot sale when doing a quick and dirty job - the "foil" finish is wafer thin and soon starts peeling at the mitres. I'd be surprised if they were the matching trim to a quality laminate. In my fairly limited DIY experience I find that BandQ etc discount the laminate and fleece you on the trims and thresholds etc charging £5 to £10 each so it's tempting to try and save here. The workmanship is crap - as a diyer I've done some quite tricky ones but never left an exposed edge (and can't imagine a situation where I would need to), that bit around the kitchen end panel is shameful and needs replacing - they probably started from the wrong side. I would now be wondering how they prepared the subfloor and what underlay they used etc. I know it's difficult especially if you've already paid but I would try and get someone else to give you an opinion/price for doing the job properly and try to negotiate with your current fitter. If you do need to stick with him you could post a few more detailed pictures of areas you're not happy with and maybe the professionals on here could help you list what's wrong and how it could be remedied.

Looking at your first picture, it seems as though they've pinned the scotia to the wall, but you normally pin it to the skirting board, so if you had no skirting boards in the first place, then they should have been fitted instead of that rubbish. Most people tend to use quadrant, and then paint it white, and as it goes on the skirting board, you put a quick bead of glue, and then use a panel pin to hold it in place, certainly not a staple. As these scotias have a foil on them, they can't be painted, so no remedial work is possible after any damage.

Others have already commented on the poor quality of the job, so enough said there, so if you've paid them, then tell them you want a refund, and you'll take the case to the small claims court, You know it's a rubbish job, and you just need to face them down, and tell them they are using crap excuses to cover a **** poor job.

and in second picture have they butted that up against the skirting( no no) as its look like more filling there
that needs sorting if they have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back