Fitting oak beading to engineered wood floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently laid an engineered oak floor in the downstairs rooms (hall and dining/living rooms).
I have a couple of sections where I need to place oak beading down (over expansion gaps). These are areas where skirting (which I'll later add in other parts of the room) such as under french doors and below cabinets/cabinet doors that are too low to the ground to fit skirting.
I've sourced a place I can order a variety of 'widths/depths/lengths/heights' of oak beading: some gaps are wider than other areas - 20mm width to 50mm width.
I'm just not entirely sure how to stick them down. I've heard some are pinned (very thin pins so any expansion will just lift the pins rather than buckle the beading/flooring.

My own thoughts are glueing the flat ends of the beading to the bottom of the upright sections (either bottom of french doors, or base of cabinets). This won't be enough to hold the beading fully, so I thought maybe place a thinnish run of grip fill under the back of the beading, but still leaving enough of the expansion gap underneath (I'd left more than enough expansion for this - as much as 40mm, but generally 20-30mm). Or placing a thin piece of strip wood (thin pine) under the back end of the beading and gluing that to the bottom of the cabinets. This would only work with the larger expansion gaps (still leaving my 10-15mm expansion gaps).

Other than that, I thought a thin level of silicone under the front of the beading (adhered to the actual floor) under the illusion any movement would just 'bend' the silicone or rip it (easy enough to reapply).
The boards are strong 15mm Oak with a 7 layer cross ply so I'm not expecting a great deal of expansion (also laid on eastilon).
Since they've been laid a few weeks ago, I haven't noted any movement of the boards.

Many thanks.

Example of beading (44mm in this case):

oak-solid-oak-beading-flat-cover-threshold-strip-44mm-x-5mm-p241-456_image.jpg

Sponsored Links
50mm is a fair size for an expansion gap for engineered flooring! Should only be approx 10mm.

Whenever I fit beading (which I hate!) I usually put a bead of adhesive on the back of it, which is the side to go back to the skirting, then a couple of panel pins through the beading and into the skirting so that the flooring can still move under the beading

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back