What to do with semi-solid floor edging...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am laying 50yd (whole groundfloor) of semi-solid handscraped oak boards this weekend. The ideal situation would be to hide the expansion gaps underneath skirting boards, but where fireplace/kitchen cabinets/staircase - or other places where there isn't skirting - are concerned what should I do?

I'm worried that I can't do a mix of beading and hidden edges due to the obvious lack of continuity, but I would prefer not to have beading everywhere. Are there any alternative solutions to hide expansion backs?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Flat beading? (Instead of Scotias or Quadrants) works like a kind of picture frame, very neat finish. We use it all the time with great results and our clients love it.

Thanks for the quick response - yeah I came across that last night and it's definitely a better look I think.

Have you seen this kind of finish? Does the protruding base not stop expansion?[/url]

Sponsored Links
Those look like upside down stair nosings - but if you look correctly they are what we call Ends (but with a weird lip IMHO) The overlapping lip rests on the wood and the large bottom bit rests on the floor, so you have to leave a gap of 25mm to use these properly as 'beading'
We normally use them when the wood floor connects with a tiles floor or if we are creating a mat well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back