OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm painting a room in our house
I've done the large parts with a roller and have left the edges

A few problems!

1. I have used a brush for the edges - urrrgh! You can see the brush strokes
I think the brush I have is old (but I thought usable)
Should I invest in a better soft brush?
And do I need to stroke up and down only or something??

2. Do I need caulk?
I read somewhere (I think it was WikiHow), they said that I should put a thin line of caulk down edges??
Do I need to do this? What's the purpose of this?

3. AND do I HAVE to do a double coat? :(
I think I have the answer to that one already - a lot of places look patchy - and overall the walls looks just not right!
I was hoping I would be able to just get away with it!!

Any advice would be great

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
You can see the brush strokes
The secret of a good finish is what's called "maintaining a wet edge". Brush the ceiling/skirting line first (called "cutting in") but only do a short distance (I just do a foot or 18inches) , then while the brushed paint is still wet, use the roller to get as near to the ceiling/skirting as you dare. Once you've started, work continuously across one wall so your roller is always connecting up with wet paint. Only stop between walls. If you want to see how easy the professionals make it look try this: http://www.dulux.co.uk/video/da_painting_walls.jsp

What's the purpose of caulk?
Caulk is a flexible filler, useful where you've got movement that causes a crack to reappear time and again. It can't be sanded so be careful to apply only as much as you need, then smooth it with a finger

Do I HAVE to do a double coat?- a lot of places look patchy
You've answered the question yourself !

thank u thank u!
brilliant reply - something that helps immensely
i have to do a double coat, so all is not lost - i'll do as u say (and as said in the video)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back