What tools do I need for painting? (Ideally I want non drip)

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to paint over wallpaper - I'll be using matt paint

I wanted to know what equipment do I need

I've previously seen on QVC non drip paint equipment
Is this any good? What's it called? I can't remember the name to look it up

Or would I be better off with brushes?

Or rollers?

Any replies would be great

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
I would use a decent 7" medium pile roller to do the walls and a decent 2" brush to go around the edges. Don't overload the roller and it won't drip. I wouldn't bother paying for gimmicky paint applicators - it's very easy with just roller and brush and a good paint. What you will probably get though is a small amount of fine spray of paint droplets so make sure everything you don't want painted is covered up.
There are many types of wallpaper and some may not take paint very well so you might need to test a small area first. Also make sure the edges and seams are well stuck down. Some paper will bubble-up when you apply the paint as it will get damp but normally it will shrink back to flat as the paint dries.

i've been looking at the paint wizard pro on ebay
looks and sounds great!!
yeee ha! i think i'll go for that

but..... i've just read some really bad reviews on amazon - so maybe not a good idea?

in the past i've seen these oddly flat shaped brushes - these allowed you to do edges really easily - these where the ones i was looking for in the beginning

but, i might do as u suggest and do it the traditional way of roller + brushes

let me know what u think

thanks

i've just found something else: Point n Paint

what do u think of that?

let me know

thanks

Sponsored Links
It's your money to do what you want with, but read the adverts and watch the videos with some scepticism. The actual painting might be quicker but how long does it take to clean up afterwards, does it need a special (read "expensive") paint, how long do the pads last and how much do they cost to replace, can you get supplies easily, etc. etc.?
I would still go roller and brush.

thanks for the reply
i've ordered it from ebay
i thought i would give it a go anyway

I'd advise just buying some reasonable brushes, a good 9" frame, and good quality 9" roller sleeves. Paint pads are not effective for walls.

I'd advise just buying some reasonable brushes, a good 9" frame, and good quality 9" roller sleeves. Paint pads are not effective for walls.
hmmm... but i've seen looads of videos showing painting walls
and the claim on the tin says: paint a room in an hour!

have i made a bad purchase?

A 12" roller will let you do a large room in 20 minutes. A 9" doesn't take much longer. Cutting in at the edges is what takes time, and a paint pad won't make you any quicker at it.

Any decent professional decorator will tell you not to bother with paint pads.

Bear in mind it typically takes two coats to get coverage, assuming you use good paint.

A 12" roller will let you do a large room in 20 minutes. A 9" doesn't take much longer. Cutting in at the edges is what takes time, and a paint pad won't make you any quicker at it.

Any decent professional decorator will tell you not to bother with paint pads.

Bear in mind it typically takes two coats to get coverage, assuming you use good paint.

Perhaps its just me but i find the finish from a pad a bit cleaner. No gimmicks just a standard pad on a handle. I'm no pro and perhaps its my technique but the pad leaves a smoother finish when I'm painting walls. Tend to use rollers on ceiling though for ease.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back