"Non-drip" paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it just me or does everyone find thixotropic "non-drip" paint to be utter junk?

It seems like you can never achieve a good job with it- daub it on and it runs and sags, brush it out and you have a load of brushmarks. And, then it still runs some anyway!

I know that the pros won't touch the stuff, but if so why do the shops sell so much of it?

Sponsored Links
Yes I agree its horrible stuff and doesn't work anyway as you have to work it so much it goes all runny on your brush and gets all over your hands.

I suppose it just sounds like a good idea until you actually try it and thats why so much is sold.

Its a DIY paint, but when you become good at DIY you use what the pros use.

it's handy for painting plastic, e.g. wastepipes, meter boxes etc, when you need to apply a single full coat with no primer or u/c.

Wouldn't use it on my doors.

Sponsored Links
Growler loves it...has it delivered by the tanker load apparently, ;)

Growler loves it...has it delivered by the tanker load apparently, ;)

'fraid not:

I use self undercoating Crown Solo gloss / satin, most of the time. Probably put more on than anyone else in England. Finest paint ever produced. Most painters sneer at it because they think it's the same as just glossing over gloss with ordinary stuff and they're set in their ways. ITS SELF UNDERCOATING.

So...Crown Solo is what I get delivered by the tanker load...not non-drip gloss.

However, my neighbour likes to have her front door painted by a "pro"... and twice I've done it with the non drip gloss that she supplied. The last time I did it RED :eek: but I undercoated it first.

Very nice it is too..... and so's the door ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back