Stirring non drip paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently used non drip paint (Crown Colourizer), when applied as suggested on the tin - liberally load brush and don't over brush - although it does not drip I get sags in the finish.
If I stir the paint I get a consistency not far off normal drippy paint which brushes out much better and gives a better finish.
Is there anything wrong with this approach?
It takes three days to dry in an unheated house but I can live with that.
David

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying.
Maybe I didn't word my query clearly enough.javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
If I brush out the non drip paint to spread it evenly it turns thin any way, therefore I was wondering if there is any very good reason why I can't stir it to begin with and make the job easier. The only drawback seems to be a longer drying time.
David

Sponsored Links
On (the very few) times Ive had to use it Ive always given it a good stir, I cant see how it can do any good to leave it un-stirred - way too stodgy!

the movement of the brush temporarily softens it

I've recently used non drip paint (Crown Colourizer), when applied as suggested on the tin - liberally load brush and don't over brush - although it does not drip I get sags in the finish.
If I stir the paint I get a consistency not far off normal drippy paint which brushes out much better and gives a better finish.
Is there anything wrong with this approach?
It takes three days to dry in an unheated house but I can live with that.
David

DavidWP:
The problem here is the cold.
Gloss doesn't like cold, be it non-drip or liquid. When you stir non-drip it makes it thinner, thereby easier to apply in a cold environment.
If it was warmer or hot, the paint would be naturally thinner, making it easy to apply.

When its cold try standing the paint in a bucket of warm, (not hot), water for about ½hour. If it starts to thicken up after a while repeat. Make sure you remove any 'oil' pools on top of the paint when you first open the tin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back