Trouble with Sandtex paint, not drying.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently bought a tin of Sandtex gloss paint to paint an old wooden bench. My wife painted it and only rough flatted it and then painted it. The paint skinned over but is not fully dry six weeks down the line. She has painted many things before and I know the manufacturers would recommend a primer but six weeks to me means faulty paint. the paint was stirred properly and not applied too thick.
I contacted Crown who say there is no one else with this problem but they would say that would'nt they?
I wonder if any one else has had this problem.
PS the drips down the side of the tin are still soft.

Sponsored Links
Mike, i'm seeing similar things with some Sandtex gloss.

I've recently undercoated/primed and then painted an outside doorframe with Sandtex. The gloss seemed to go on nicely on top of the undercoat (hard to be sure as the undercoat/primer and gloss were both white) and everything dried in reasonable time.

When it came to the door itself i wasn't so pleased. The undercoat/primer (grey this time as i'm painting a darker colour) went on just fine exactly like the doorframe. When it came to the gloss (Oxford blue) this went on a bit streaky and not fantastic coverage (Only done 1 coat so far and not convinced 2 will be enough) allowing me to see through to the undercoat. What's slightly disturbing is that this seems to be taking a fair bit longer to dry. It's only a bit over 28hours since i've done my first coat but if you run your hand lightly over the surface it still feels tacky/grabby rather than smooth. There was also a soft spot in the paint on one spot where it had skinned over but did not seem to stick to the undercoat too well.

I'll give this coat a few more days to dry before doing another coat.

Out of interest, what colour were you doing the bench? would be suspicious if yours was blue too.

A few years ago I had a real nightmare with some black oilbased Crown satinwood which refused to dry after 48 hours (over a weekend) even after being applied exactly as instructed.

It was a particular problem as it was on staircases in a gym where lots of people with disablilities needed to use the handrails. I ended up removing and replacing the handrails with new unpainted ones so the business could stay open. (All this when I was supposed to be painting somewhere else that week).

I complained to Crown. First of all they tried to claim that the surfaces I'd painted must have been greasy, but I insisted that was not the case and that it was the paint, not my prep which was at fault. They sent a courier for the remainder of the paint plus the original tin it came in, analysed it, agreed it was faulty and eventually reimbursed me for the extra time and handrails etc as well as new paint. I got a cheque for £600+, but I would rather the paint had just worked in the first place.

It is always worth lodging a complaint if you feel the product is not behaving as it should despite perfect preparation.

Sponsored Links
Reporting back with my updates.

My paint still seemed to be soft almost a week later but this may have been a combination of things. Not mixing the paint well enough, applying too thickly and leaving outside to dry where cool nights and dew in the mornings didn't agree with it. On the second coat (And the first coat on the second side) i made sure i mixed better, i applied thinner coats and i have it indoors to dry and have had better results. I also didn't appreciate the whole curing process for oil based paints where they may appear dry but have not yet hardened and you can leave marks on then (Like a thumbnail).

I still think it takes a long time to dry (17 hours and i can still leave fingerprints in the new paint) but it WILL dry eventually. I was worried at first that it was just never going to dry but this seems unfounded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back