Gloss paint flaking, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my first post, so please be gentle!

Just had the outside of the house painted. The previous owner had painted the concrete window sills with gloss paint. My decorator told me to go with gloss again. We used Albany gloss but in places it is bubbling and there is like a skin on top. Some of it is fine.

Is it the paint or the preparation.

Also used Sandtex 10 year exterior gloss on a previously painted wooden front door. It has taken ages to dry and after a week is still a bit tacky to the touch. Looks good though, a high mirror shine finish.

Any view on these please? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The big question is; did you sand the old paint first?

People think if the old paint is in good condition, there's no need to sand it down before the new paint. You have to sand it, or it will flake off.

You really should use an undercoat first, did you?

Also, was the surface completely dry before you painted?

Gloss can take a while to go hard, with the vo changes in the manufacturing.

The big question is; did you sand the old paint first?

People think if the old paint is in good condition, there's no need to sand it down before the new paint. You have to sand it, or it will flake off.

You really should use an undercoat first, did you?

Also, was the surface completely dry before you painted?

Gloss can take a while to go hard, with the vo changes in the manufacturing.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't paint it, it was the builders. I did see them sanding down the sills and they did do some prep.
They did prime the sill before glossing. Maybe it rained or was damp overnight?

They have started again now to try and rectify it. I've heard about Zinsser primers, maybe they should use that.

I just thought, concrete sill, outside, it would have been better to go with exterior masonary paint?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back