Need dorma advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The old cladding on my dorma has rotted away, so I've decided to replace with plastic. Unfortunately there isn't any insulation in the cavity and the ply boards extend into a lower section of the house which I cannot remove it would cause damage. As a solution I've decided to batten to 70mm and add 50mm of kingspan insulation instead of removing I've basically built out. What I want to know is, as the cavity hasn't been filled but there is insulation on the outer skin, will this act as insulation should or will the cavity gap I couldn't fill cause a problem?

Another problem I have is the window tray. If I batten out to 70mm and then add ply and cladding on top it will be past the window drip tray. I can't remove the tray or window as its tiled inside. Any solution for this?

Thanks
Owen

Attachments

• IMAG1619.jpg
    IMAG1619.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 124
  • IMAG1621.jpg
    IMAG1621.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
i think I would have lined the window reveal in plastic on a wooden frame, so the actual window frame could out through the opening. If this have the typical plastic window sill, then this would stick out further then your present one, so shielding the top of your foam and outer cladding. it would have been a good place affix the top of your flashing. The top of the window aperture also needs a drip rail and a decent water seal.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back