Need help finding a table of thermal lateral pipe expansion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there. First post here.
I am creating a study guide for myself to keep on the job. I am not sure how to calculate thermal expansion mathematically, and I was looking for a table. Is there such a thing online?
I have my plumbing 3 book from class, however the book has two different representations of thermal expansions, and they are different from eachother, so once must be wrong. Possibly both. Does anyone have a solution to this?
It is defined as:
Thermal expansion of pipe in inches per 100 feet from 70 degrees fahrenheit.

Thank you, hoping to contribute as much as I ask here.

Sponsored Links
This can be a very complicated subject as copper tube will expand longitudinally as well as across its diameter.

In plumbing the only normal significance is the longitudinal expansion of long straight runs such as in factories. This is usually accommodated by a telescopic convoluted section or a dogleg.

Rarely significant in day to day plumbing except in a commercial environment.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If I had said that then 99% of the others reading would not understand what I was refering to!

On my technical writing course we were taught the importance of using simple words to describe things and to avoid jargon.

The objective is to have a low value of fog factor! ( Whats a "fog factor" ? )

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/linear-expansion-coefficients-d_95.html

Thankyou! however I have no idea how to use a coeffecient in order to find my answer! lol. I will have to use the world wide web again to see if someone can put it in a simple formula for me.

@Agile. Thankyou, however I do work commercially at hospitals and other places on occasion. This is also for class as well, as this will be on our finals. The teacher is a twit and cannot find this information himself. He doesn't even know how to use a computer :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back