Need help identifying black plastic pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have asked me to replace the shower in their 1970's house. Had a look today, there is a shower pump, and the pipework to the shower is in black plastic. First impression, it's similar to modern pushfit pipe but it's black, somewhat flexible, and appears to be in very long lengths. I couldn't find any joints in the 5 metres or so between the pump and the shower, although some is hidden under the floor. There's also some feeding the toilet cistern, it looks like 15mm OD or 1/2 inch joined with ordinary brass compression fittings.

Anyone have any idea what it is before I go dismantling things? I could replace the whole lot right back to the pump, but would rather re-use if that's possible/OK.

Sponsored Links
I have never seen anything like that!

However, if it fits standard 15 mm compression joints then its probably that size. Even 1/2" is virtually the same size and can be used regardless!

The only problem is that you MUST use inserts! The best thing is to get a micrometer and measure the outside diameter of the inserts used and look for some of the same size.

Tony

The plot thickens! I think I'll dismantle a joint and see what's inside. The vernier gauge will be happy to see the light of day - will report back later.

OK, had a look today, it's actually a dark brown rather than black, and is marked "Bartol Acorn PB" which I'm guessing might be polybutylene (?)

I will now go and try to cap it off somewhere so we can put the water back on... In the meantime does anyone know whether it's ok to keep using this pipe or would it be best to replace it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies folks, it's a great help. I managed to get some inserts that fit and put a service valve in place, so we have water again now :D

Mogget

Be aware that the Acorn is pretty brittle now and could split at any time!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back