Need help,wiring a hallway. All wires red. Have multimeter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

RE: all wires are red

I have replaces all light switches, one by one, and all worked, untill last one! Currently some lights work and some doesnt. I copied the excisting wiring and replaced the switched. but now i am lost. I need to rewire.

How can i work out what goes where?
Please give me some advice.

Sponsored Links
Start by explaining what cables you have available, what lights have stopped working, what lights still work, what you actually did etc.

We need as much info as you can give before we can give you any advice.

Kitchen: replaced socket. 3 red wires. light switch has L, L1 and L2. Kitchen works. When switced on, living room and bedroom goes off and doesnt switch on at all. When off, bedroom and living room can be swithced on and off.

Living room: 4 redwires. 2swithces in 1 socket. 2 L and 2 L1 and L2
(old system wich I copied, a small red wire is connecting L1 and L1)

Bedroom: 3 red wires. L L1 L2

Hallway. Socket 1 - 4 red wires. L1 L2 not conneted at the moment

Hallway Socket 2 - 3 red wires L1 L2 not connect at the moment.

Thanks for coming back to me

I think I have the solution

Can you first confirm there is only one switch that normally controls the kitchen light ?

Sponsored Links
wimbledon55 said:
Hallway. Socket 1 - 4 red wires. L1 L2 not conneted at the moment

Hallway Socket 2 - 3 red wires L1 L2 not connect at the moment.

Connect up these the way they were wired before. You have probably broken the loop somewhere and that is the reason some lights don't work.

Do you have a multimeter?

wimbledon55 said:
Kitchen: replaced socket. 3 red wires. light switch has L, L1 and L2. Kitchen works. When switced on, living room and bedroom goes off and doesnt switch on at all. When off, bedroom and living room can be swithced on and off.

Can you explain how you want them switched and also the number and type of switches you are using. Are the wires at each switch single cores or do they have a grey sheath and a bare earth core?

wimbledon55 said:
Living room: 4 redwires. 2swithces in 1 socket. 2 L and 2 L1 and L2
(old system wich I copied, a small red wire is connecting L1 and L1)

When you say '2 switches in 1 socket' do you mean like this:

MKK4872.JPG

The number of actual switches is the number of gangs. So that picture is a 2 gang switch. If you could use the correct terms it makes it much easier to understand.

Do the 2 switches control just the living room lights? Did they used to switch sets of lights on individually or did each switch control everything?

dont have a multimeter

only the pen with light. (sorry im a novice)

living room has a 2way, yes. only control livingroom lights, 2 individual.

hallway, 2 different switches at both ends, usally controls each other. one light in hallway.

wimbledon55 said:
hi, only 1 switch in the kitchen

In which case TWO of the reds go into L1 and the third goes into L2

The three reds are

[1] is a feed of LIVE from the previous switch and lamp.

[2] a feed of LIVE to the next switch and lamp ( bedroom or living room )

[3] switched LIVE to the kitchen lamp

therefor [1] and [2] have to joined to take LIVE to the bedroom and need to be in L1 to provide LIVE to the switch

[3] goes into L2 so the switch can control it.

wimbledon55 said:
all swithched are marked: L and L1 plus L2

all the wires are red, with no marking.

Forget the previous L1 L2 L3, your switch has different marking to what I expected

Mark the three wires with a mark so you can tell them apart from each other. There are only three ways to connect them, one of them goes in L1 and the other two in L

OK take any two of the reds and put them in L and the third into L1

Test the lights. If they work luck got it right first time.

If they don't then exchange the red in L1 with one of them in L

Test the lights If they work you got it right second time

If they don't try the third wire in L1

If not exchange the red in L1 again this

you are a top man! all is working now

Thank you very very much. Save me from getting a london cowboy to come and fix this and costing a fortune!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back