need help wiring a thermostat to a Junkers KN 12-8 KP

Reaction score
Country
Germany
hi all,
I would need help in connecting an aliexpress bought RF Receiver to a Junker KN 12-8 KP boiler. It's a kit coming with a thermostat. I know the boiler it's old but I can't replace it anytime soon as I just spent all my money in buying the place. Please find the picture below for the boiler electric schema and wiring, the internal panel and receiver picture with his wiring schema.

Many thanks to anyone having the time to look into this.

LE: the TRZ 12 seen on the picture is where one should plug in the native Bosch TRZ 12 thermostat. I've included the wiring schema for that receiver if that helps.

Attachments

• 20231024_142350.jpg
    20231024_142350.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 20231024_142329.jpg
    20231024_142329.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 94
  • 20231024_141946.jpg
    20231024_141946.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 20231024_202522.jpg
    20231024_202522.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 80
  • trz 12.jpg
    trz 12.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with Junker boilers and my German is not good either. However, from your description and the diagrams, TRZ are the connections for the room thermostat, [Raumtemperaturregler?] Therefore terminal 4 will be the live (out arrow) and 5 is the switched live (in arrow). I am referring to the terminal numbers hidden below the wires, not those in ( ) above.

1698241471966.jpeg

Then, the thermostat receiver terminals 2 and 3 (OPEN and COM) are the switching terminals.....

term.png

.....so the thermostat receiver could be connected as follows:

Terminal strip.jpg

Normally when there isn't a room thermostat fitted with many boilers, certainly here in the UK, there is a wire link fitted between the thermostat terminals to allow the boiler to operate. Maybe not for a Junkers.

Last edited:
Thank you very much stem, very kind of you. That seems about right and I was thinking the same wiring scheme. I was expecting to find out a bridge/strap there too but I have to look for it somewhere else.

I have identified it on the drawing but I can't seem to identify it phisically. I have underlined it on the drawing.

Probably I have to trace the wires and un/plug to see effects.

Attachments

• 20231024_142329.jpg
    20231024_142329.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 26
The drawings are a bit confusing there are a couple of links called BK1 & BK2 but I can only see them in the schematic drawing and not in the wiring diagrams to determine what they do. If you have the boiler installation manual it should say somewhere what they are for.

Sponsored Links
That's it. I've look in the manual, it's the BK1. I'll attach the schematic it anyone else may be interessted in the future.

Many thanks stem, as soon as I have some spare time I'll wire the thermostat and get back with a confirmation.

I do still have a question: I know that in this configuration I have to keep the boiler on the whole time and control it wih the thermostat. I'm thinking on powering the receiver from the mains before the on/off switch so that in the summer i can shut it off without losing the synk inbetween receiver and thermostat.

I know the schematic will look a bit differnt but it's fine. Wouldn't it be better this way, any isssues?

Attachments

• heating schematic.jpg
    heating schematic.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I'm guessing you want to isolate the whole boiler during the summer months as you don't use it.

Here in the UK, heating systems and their external controls are normally fed from the same fused connection unit so that when the engineer comes to service them everything is isolated by one switch. Most boiler MI's also stipulate it.

What you suggest would work though, and maybe it won't be an issue in Germany.

As I said before I've neve seen a Junkers boiler, does it not have an on/off switch on its control panel? [S1 on the wiring diagram on your last post] If it does and you switch it off there, the main live feed into the boiler [L] would still be live and would keep the receiver powered.

Here in the UK, heating systems and their external controls are normally fed from the same fused connection unit so that when the engineer comes to service them everything is isolated by one switch. Most boiler MI's also stipulate it.
From this point of view I fed it like you said earlier, I guess it's safer.

I plugged the thermostat, removed the BK1 strap and chage the operation mode from the switch accordingly (Betriebarten-Schalter) and all works fine. There's an electric buzz noise though when not heating, something like an old transformer buzz. That was not present when the boiler was running in manual mode. I dont' know where it's coming I have see how annoying it will be.

However many thanks againg for your support stem. I've posted this on 3 forums : a german one, a romanian one and here wehre I actually solved it. ;)

The buzzing does sound odd, from an electrical circuit point of view nothing really should have changed. Is there a possibility it's the the thermostat receiver that's making the noise. :unsure:

I checked but nope, the receiver it's silent. It could be that the buzz was present and I didn't noticed it because of the burner noise. So far after 9 hours on nothing burned. :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back