Need Help Wiring This Outside Light Up.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello There! I'm New To This Site So I'm Sorry If I'm Doing This Wrong!!

I'm Trying To Wire A Outside Light Up... There Is 2 Gray Cables... 1 Of Them Has 2 Reds Wires... The Other Has 1 Red Wire & 1 Black Along Side The Earth Wire...

Can You Help Me Sort It Plz? Been Doing My Head In! I Upload A Wee Pic Of The Wires!

Also Its Runing Of A Switch That Has 4 Lights Runing Of It... Its In The Hall Way Of My Home...
Many Thanks Adie!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
So are you replacing an old light for new?
Did the old light originally work?

Hello M8... Its In The Front Porch Only I'm Taking It Out Thro The Wall So I Can Put It On The Outside M8... The Old Woman That Lived In Here B4 Me Took The Light Down And Plated It Up So It Looked Like There Was No Light There! I Have The Wires Coming Down Were They Were At The First Place... I Have A Wee Pic Up But Not Sure How To Post It In This Comment M8...

So are you replacing an old light for new?
Did the old light originally work?

Hello M8... Its In The Front Porch Only I'm Taking It Out Thro The Wall So I Can Put It On The Outside M8... The Old Woman That Lived In Here B4 Me Took The Light Down And Plated It Up So It Looked Like There Was No Light There! I Have The Wires Coming Down Were They Were At The First Place... I Have A Wee Pic Up But Not Sure How To Post It In This Comment M8...

Sponsored Links
What you have is Loop in ( Red and black) at the fitting and a pair of switch wires (Reds) looks like a second earth cable is twisted with this pair?
The red from the pair with the black should be connected to one of the reds from the red pair. These should be connected together in a separate terminal block if there is not a spare on the fitting.
The second red of the pair should be connected to the live terminal on fitting and the black to the neutral. Earths should be sleeved with yellow and red PVC sleeving and terminated at the earth terminal of fitting.
That will make that light work.
What you have is something like this but ignore the supply to the next light. The red and sleeved black cable between fitting and switch are your pair of reds

If you are going outside with the cables will need to be extended by jointing, if you are to then to cover this joint back up again. so it becomes inaccessible, they will need to be jointed by MF junction boxes not the standard type. also the cable being used outside needs to be either enclosed or suitable for the environmental conditions, such as sunlight, heat and frost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back