Wiring For a Hall Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to replace my hall light, but the wiring was not as I expected it to be.

I have 2 hall lights 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs, with 2 switches 1 up and 1 down. Both switches control both lights.

The downstairs light just has 1 set of wires and looks ok.

The upstairs light has 3 sets of wires. I was expecting to see 2 black wires going to the neutral, 3 red wires go to the loop, and 1 black wire (the switch return) going to the live.

Instead I have 2 black wires going to the neutral (ok), 2 red wires going to the loop and 1 black wire (which I assume is the switch return) and 1 red wire going to the live.

//media.diynot.com/224000_223222_84426_34972401_thumb.jpg

This has been working fine for the last 20 years. So I am not sure whether to put the new light in as I think it should be wired or as it is wired now.

Sponsored Links
No, just connect the brown and blue to your new light as they are now plus earth if your new light has one.
As you say, it has been working for twenty years; why would you think it needs changing?

The wires are, L to R:

Neutral supply and neutral from other light (can't tell which is which),
Live supply and Live to switch (can't tell which is which),
Black switched live from switch and Red S/L to other light.

It would be better to have less copper showing but not the end of the world.

Yes, that's perfectly correct.

The one red going to the live (switched) as you call it goes to the other light, so it makes both lights come on together.

Thanks for the replies.

So it is because I have 2 switches working 2 lights that 1 of the red wires is attached to the live?

Sponsored Links
But as I said in my original post I was expecting just 1 wire (the black switched live) to be going to the live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back