light upstairs dimmer switch down stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , i have replaced a dimmer switch downstairs but its not working, i copied the old wiring, i have 2 red wires and 2 black wires, the 2 red wires were in the squigly hole and the black wires 1 black wire was in the l1 and 1 black wire was in the l2, the dimmer switch is downstairs, but in controls the light on the hall landing upstairs, there is a standard switch upstairs which also controls the said light. Can someone help me please.

Sponsored Links
You have either got the wires mixed up or the wrong switch type.

Two blacks for strappers is unsual.

Are there 2 x T&E cable to this switch position. How many terminals did the old switch have?

Hi the dimmer as the 3 points, L1 L2 and the other one, not sure what T &E MEANS,thee are no earth cables, just 2 red and 2 black, rewired as the previous post.i have checked the bulb lol its not that. Is there another way to wire i could try without blowing myself up.

Twin & Earth.

Does your existing switch have exactly the same number of connection points that your old one did?

No earth is a bad thing, especially if you have metallic light fittings or switches fitted.

Sponsored Links
yes exactly the same, but i did fit the other one about 2 years ago and it worked fine until recently where i had to bang the switch a little for it to work,eventualy it stopped working altogether,so maybe its not the switch? so i thought it would be a good idea to swap it over.All switches are plastic.Wiring is old house was built in 1969, have had the fuse box changed to a modern one.No earths on any of the lights.

Are all fittings double insulated, too?

Did the guy who changed the board note the lack of earth on the paperwork?

I can only assume you must have mixed up the wires in the terminals, unless the new dimmer is goosed, too.

As I asked before, have you got 2 cables at the switch, each with one red and one black?

What wires in what configuration appear at the other switch?

If you know what is in the L1 & L2 terminals at the one end, it should be exactly the same at the other, unless the cable is joined en-route.

Thanks for that,ill check the other switch, had to pay the electrician by cheque,certificate/paperwork in the post, i dont know what double insulated means, but thanks for your help i will post the results tomorrow evening, thanks again.

Double Insulated means the appliance does not require an earth connection. If your circuit does not have one, then all switches and fittings must be of the type that do not need an earth connection. Also, strictly speaking, the screws securing the switches should be nylon (or the lugs should be).

I'm sure if he was worth his salt, he would have mentioned the "no earth" situation to you verbally, not just left it for the cert to land on your mat.

I am guessing that (with your age of install) the live feed will connect to the Common on the downstairs switch, the strappers will link the L1's & L2's of the switches and the switchwire for the landing light will connect to the common of the upstairs switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back