rewiring ceiling lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have a problem with 3 of my ceiling lights not working. I'll try to explain the wiring in the rooms concerned.They are old colours. Firstly the hall, on a 2 way switch. The first switch, just inside the front door has 2 black wires and 1 red, the other hall switch, just outside the living room, has the same, with 1 of the black wires thinner than the other. the light has 1 red and one black. Bedroom(1) switch has 2 red, 1 black and the light has 3 black(1 thinner)Bedroom(2) switch has 1 red and 1 black and the light has 2 black, 1 thinner. Would it be possible to retrace the wires concerned and replace tham all with new cables?
I hope I've explained it ok. All other lights are working fine.They all worked untill recently when these 3 stopped working. Should have said, I live in a bungalow.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why do you think the cables need replacing?

Have you done anything which might have caused them to stop working?

Are the non-working ones on the same circuit as the working ones?

Are you happy to buy a multimeter, learn how to use it, learn how lighting circuits are wired, and start to trace the fault yourself, or would you prefer to get an electrician?

It is unlikely that the cables need to be replaced, but you have lost power on the circuit which needs investigating. This could be simply a loose connect in the ceiling void/loft space. I would be investigating any junction boxes and any loop in connecting at the switches.
If you have had work done in the house there are possibilities that the cable has been dislodged from it's connection or damaged, other possible reason rodents!

Sponsored Links
Hi, Thanks for the replies. I have had new insulation laid recently and the problems started just after that. I was thinking of replacing all the junction boxes anyway because some of the old ones are cracked. When I've done that, I'll see if the lights start working again. Are the cables to the lights and switches that I described in my OP correct? I've looked at diagrammes on here and mine look nothing like them. The new light fixtures - which worked fine before all this - have 1 blue and 1 brown cable. The switch in 1 bedrooom, not affected, has a white cable, the rest have not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back