Need Help with my Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all on the board, I've been trawling through all the brilliant advice & tips but I can't find anyone with a problem like ours.

We had our bath fitted a while ago now and have all sorts of expensive solutions/problems sealing it. Because the nofine walls aren't square the bath was fitted square which we were told would give us less problems with the plumbing and leaks etc.
This however has left us with a ledge around the 3 sides of the bath varying between 3/4" and 2 1/2" at widest.
I have a t&g side panel which the kids throw water down constantly when splashing around with no problems with damp or mildew. Initially we had it mosaic tiled to match the walls but they wouldn't set against the timber underneath, since then I've tried plastic coving shaped bath edging which wasn't wide enough to seal behind the taps but was too wide to sit along the head of the bath. I've tried the flexi seal strip which was pants and I currently have wooden edging similar to quadrant running around it. This looked the best of all the things we've tried but despite it being waterproofed it leaks and constantly gets mouldy.

I was advised by someone to try expanding filler as it's waterproof and then decorate over it knowing it's well sealed underneath. So I've pulled up the edging to find the wood baton is rotten but dry - Do I need to replace the wood before trying the filler as the wood isn't actually supporting anything it's just stopping the bath moving.

Many Thanks
Rosie

Sponsored Links
Hi Rosie,
Any chance of a photo of the problem? It will give a better idea of it.I had a job earlier this year in a bathroom where there were tiles and a VERY broad bead of silicone along the bath.After removing the tiles and the sealant,it left a gap that was far to big to work with,and would look very unsightly.We ended up building the wall out with plasterboard,re-tiled,new silicone and that solved the problem for us.Just a thought for your job.

Roughcaster.

My thoughts exactly, Roughcaster. You are losing value on your house by leaving it a complete bodge job (as it is now). Do as Roughcaster says and square the room up. It will make you money in the long haul.

Sponsored Links
I've got pictures but I have no idea how to post them here :oops: .

I understand the idea of packing the room out and basically starting again but it's the wall along the length of the bath that is causing the problems.
I spoke to the installer who said we wouldn't be able to push the bath in towards the wall anymore without re-routing the pipes as they run along this wall, and also that the wall bows out in the middle not just that it isn't square at the corners. We've got some hardibacker left from when we lined the floors - surely if the wall bows in the middle it wouldn't sit flush? :?:

With the amount of headaches this is causing I can see me having to get a loan and get the Dolphin cowboys out and they can just rip the tiles, suite and pipework out and start again :cry: .

Don't go anywhere near Dolphin. A decent local Property Maintenance guy could sort it for £300.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back