Resealing bath with recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm in the process of resealing around the bath and have removed the top lair of sealant, only to find that in some places the sealant appears to have been applied between the bath and the tiles and into the recess of the wall. The edge of the bath is rounded and the sealant has been applied around that edge making it quite difficult to remove all of the sealant without pulling the entire bath out.

I have managed to remove the majority of this sealant by combination of scraping, cutting with a retractable blade and solvent which was mainly to remove the thin lair around the top of the bath and loosen any of the deeper sealant which I wasn't able to remove.

I'd appreciate if anyone can answer or comment on the following questions :-

1. What would you recommend would be the best way to fill these gaps prior to applying the silicone which seals the bath and tiles?

2. Would filling these gaps with a first application of silicone followed by the top lair suffice? If so, should I use something other than silicone to fill the gaps prior to applying the silicone sealant?

To do the job correctly, I'd imagine I'd have to remove the bath, remove any of the sealant I've not been able to get to with the bath in place and tidy the surface where the bath meets the wall. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do this at the moment, so I'm looking to do the job as best I can until am.

I'm happy to provide pictures if it assists in understanding the problem.

Thanks in advance
dufresne37927

Sponsored Links
Sealant will be fine, in one application.

If your not used to using a sealant gun I'd suggest you use masking tape on the bath and on the tile border.

First run the sealant in to the gap, then directly after run sealant over the sealant. Have a small cap of washing up liquid mixed with water 1:20 and dip finger in to it and run finger all the way round to smooth.

Before the sealant sets remove the masking tape, pulling away to prevent any sealant on the tape dabbing the bath or walls.

If your a bit unsure, work the sections doing the small one first to practice before doing the long run. I'd also suggest cutting the nozzle back to about 4mm, and you may well need two tubes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back