DIY TIP OF THE DAY- Bath Edging Trim.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MY DIY TIP OF THE DAY—Bath Edging trim.

If you don’t want to see that ugly silicone sealant around bath--- Buy one 5 metre length of (12mm or 19mm Window Quadrant trim) cost is low at about £1.50p. a length. Clean away that old silicone sealant and then fill the gap with new white or clear silicone sealant that will stop any water that might seep down the gap. Mitre the corners of the Quadrant Trim and put fine beads of silicone sealant on the two inner edges of the Quadrant trim. Then press into place on the bath. When it is dry put very thin beads of silicone sealant on the very edges and corners.

Sponsored Links
So you're advocating removing a neat silicone seal and replacing it with a big strip of plastic - that'll look proper bonny that will. :rolleyes:

my tip of the day, throw the stuff in the bin, or dont even etertain buying it in the first place :D

Sponsored Links
Oh it isn't just you gcol (and Thermo) - edging around a bath (or shower) is both hideous and functionally useless.

Welstead - as a plumber you make an excellent electrician. :rolleyes:

In the past I have wasted much time and many pounds on sealant and well over priced trims, which come off or don’t fit properly. If you have a very small gap on the bath a thin bead of sealant is good .but if you have got - 8mm gap or more, sealant can look very unsightly. If tradesmen would fit the baths properly in the first place, we could just put a thin bead of sealant on the bath.

Am I to understand that you have this trim around your bath then?

Go on surprise us, what's today's BODGE OF THE DAY?

Did you fit your own bath then?

Please post a pic so we can see how good it looks. I'll give you extra points if you can get the rubber duck in the shot.

doesn't sound like a bad fix to me.
Our bathroom was fitted by the previous (builder) owner and underneath the existing bath edging quadrant I've found a huge gap between wall / tiles / bath.

No amount of professional silicone will make a neat job of that.

And B&Q tried to charge me £20 for two bath edging strips yesterday.
Window edging might just do a top job.

You're a catty lot aren't you !

slider45 said:
And B&Q tried to charge me £20 for two bath edging strips yesterday.
Window edging might just do a top job.
Best to pay a bit more for a very good quality, I have a showerseal round my shower tray, looks part of the shower tray. www.byretech.com

Now what wrong with it? I think it does look better than sealant
bathseal_new_2.jpg

You're a catty lot aren't you !
Yeah, funny lot aren't they :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back