need slow cd writer program, help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have dug out loads of boxes of old blank CD's and I would like to use them only trouble is if you write them at any speed over 2 they fail, so I need a program preferrably free that can write data to them. Can you help please?

I have Nero but it wont write slow enough although you can select speeds within the program. I have tried to do it in Windows XP which does not seem to let me select a speed and they fail again. I know the CD's are ok as I used them a long time ago at work, and they seemed quite reliable.

I am using Windows XP home and have a LITE-ON writer in case that helps. I really am after a program to write the CD's at 1 and 2 speeds.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Changing the dma settings to "pio" might work, but it will slow other things down.

To check dma settings, in start menu right click "my computer* left click "manage" left click "device manager" left click "IDE ATP/ATAPI controllers" right click each IDE channel and go to "properties" and check "advanced settings" "current transfer mode" should say "ultra dma mode 5" - can be numbered 1-6 or pio, the lower the number the slower the speed, pio is the slowest.

Changing the dma settings to "pio" might work, but it will slow other things down.

To check dma settings, in start menu right click "my computer* left click "manage" left click "device manager" left click "IDE ATP/ATAPI controllers" right click each IDE channel and go to "properties" and check "advanced settings" "current transfer mode" should say "ultra dma mode 5" - can be numbered 1-6 or pio, the lower the number the slower the speed, pio is the slowest.

I have just tried that but it does not offer me 1 to 6 it just has DMA if available and PIO but on one of them (on Secondary IDE Channel) on Current transfer Mode it does actually say Ultra DMA Mode 2. But on PIO it does not seem to make any difference to speeds offered.

Chuck the disks and buy new ones. It's not like they are expensive.

Sponsored Links
Back