need some help with radiators/central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a bit of advice with regards to my radiators.

Bit of background info - bought my house in December last year, haven't moved in yet as I've been knocking down walls/redecorating etc.

Boiler was 3 years old (vaillant ecotech pro) regularly serviced, has magna clean fitted to it.

As I wasn't living there during the winter I didn't have the heating on as much as I would have but turned it on for approx an hour a day and all was working fine (except for a towel rad in the downstairs bathroom which they turned completely off for some reason)

Anyway during redecoration etc I had to remove several radiators, put them back on etc but this was during the summer mainly and didn't have enough knowledge/confidence to refill the system so the boiler has been turned completely off for about 4 months.

One of the radiators T piece had split when putting the radiator back on so my dad drained down probably half a bucket worth from the rad/system, repaired it and it was put back on.

Had the boiler serviced on Monday, explained everything to the engineer with regards to having drained some water off, removing and replacing rads etc and he proceeded to refill the system and bleed all the radiators and took the magna clean off and said it was clean.
Poured some rust inhibitor in the upstairs towel rad.

Had the heating on for approx an hour and I noticed several of the radiators were stone cold - no problem he said your system needs rebalancing so he proceeded to do that.

when he left all the radiators were working but I pointed out that some of them were only lukewarm at the bottom to which he replied don't worry im sure it will sort itself out.

He also mentioned that he'd never come across radiators that needed the valves turning more than 2 turns but mine did??

ok fine I thought but when I ran the system again yesterday for 2 hours the same thing happened and 4 out of the 9 rads in the house only got hot at the tops and lukewarm at the bottom.

could this be a rebalancing problem or do I have sludge? could it be that he hasn't opened the valves enough?

They all have TRV's on them and he checked them all to make sure they weren't sticking as he thought this could be the initial problem of the cold radiators but they were fine.
All the TRV's are set to the highest number.

Sponsored Links
Every possibility they have sludge in them yea, what was the water comming out the radiators like when you were removing them? the boiler is about 3 years you said, are the radiators new at the same time or do the look older?

is it 15mm pipes to the rads or microbore?

Problem can be if system has been off for so long sludge particles can settle and harden up easily which make it more difficult to remove.

find the coldest radiator, and turn the trvs off on all the others, if the rad heats up fully, then its balancing, if it doesnt then its more likely a restriction in the pipework or sludge in the rad its self.

Thanks for your reply, turns out the valve needed opening more. Tried turning it a lot more and now they are all heating up properly.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back