Need some tech help please - any gurus around?

D

Deleted2797112

Aged parent going stir-crazy not being able to go concerts so I managed to set my phone up as a hotspot and stream a concert over their TV (no broadband anymore since they gave up using laptop a couple of years ago). Looking for a slightly more semi-permanent solution that won't eat my data for as long as this lasts (which could be a long time). Not sure whether to just get a cheap unlocked secondhand phone and a (cheap) unlimited data SIM or whether a mobile router is a better idea. They won't be using it themselves - I'll be doing all the fiddling for them so it needs to be idiot-proof. The concerts are being made available on YouTube channels so maybe 3 or 4 a week plus other interesting stuff - National Theatre Live streams, a bit of TV catchup, an odd movie perhaps.

Any suggestions for a device and a plan? The more specific the better - thank you!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying. Do you mean using a tablet as a hotspot or viewing the stream on a tablet? If the former, I think I've got a couple of old tablets somewhere I could try. The latter won't work. They're very tech-averse now due to short term memory limitations. And they enjoyed seeing it on a decent sized TV screen - they wouldn't be interested in a tablet-sized screen.

My wife got a bundle from ee, two phones, two watches, and a router, they work well but not a clue on cost, in the caravan it results in being like at home, all devices connect to little yellow lump. However not a clue on cost.

Sponsored Links
Is the TV compatible with a Firestick? Might be your best bet, along with a wireless connection, like having broadband again, but could use a mobile device, like EE do one?

Thanks for replying. It's a smart TV so I don't think I need a Firestick? I'm trying to work out the best / easiest / cheapest way to provide the internet connection in the absence of broadband. It was pretty straightforward using my mobile phone as a hotpsot but it ties up my phone and eats my data so I'd rather have a dedicated 'something'.

Try looking at the mobile devices then , not as bulky as routers and uses the mobile operators data.

If wired broadband is available at the location, then get that.
Any wireless solution will either cost far more, or have crippling data limits which will make it unusable.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If wired broadband is available at the location, then get that.
Any wireless solution will either cost far more, or have crippling data limits which will make it unusable.

Thanks for replying. I don't think wired broadband is the way to go. They're fixed length contracts and are usually bundled with other things that aren't needed. I'm just looking for something that will enable occasional streaming during lockdown for the absence of live performances. I've taken the plunge and ordered a pre-owned Huawei mobile wifi router and a cheap no-contract sim with a big data allowance. Hopefully these will do what I need. Otherwise, I'll start again......

Thanks to all who replied.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Just re-visiting this in case it might help anyone else during lockdown. The secondhand Huawei mobile wifi router is brilliant. I've been using it to stream performances 4-5 times a week. Battery life is good - once a week mains charge. It's streaming to a not terribly new Panasonic smart TV and set-up was easy. I put £10/30GB on a no-contract Smarty SIM and around 3 weeks in there's still 20GB left. I'll probably top up with £5 next time. Quality is good, only interference I've noticed is when the microwave is running in the kitchen!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back