Need suggestions for replacing my radiator pleeeease!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Grateful for any suggestions with the following.

I had a hole develop in one of the 2 rads I had in my lounge. So I decided to replace them.

Closed off the valves, took them both off and emptied them - now they are quite old, so the replacements are different sizes (one is too narrow, the other too wide) - but these are the closest I could get the the original sizes.

The one that is too small has horizontal pipes which I don't think would be too hard to extend somehow, but the one that is too wide, has it's pipes coming up vertically, (and separately) from the wall (the poke through the wall, and bend up 90 degress up to valves if you see what I mean - sorry if I'm not describing it very well) - there is hardly any give in them.

Can I ask what the easiest and quickest way would be to get this rad to fit? is there any way to extend the pipes slightly upwards and out or would it be best to bend them out and down?

The system isn't drained at the moment, and I was hoping to avoid that?

Anyway, you can probably tell I'm no DIY expert - hence I'm looking for guidance / suggestions, so any would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
easiest option?
get a plumber in.

quickest?
get a plumber in.

you could do it yourself. it will not be either of the above.

If the rads have holed it may be indicative of further problems within the system so it would be in your best interest to get a heating engineer in who can also comment on the state of the rest of the system.

Sponsored Links
As above, you obviously have a problem with system sludge it would be advisable to correct that problem aswell so it may be time to get someone in otherwise your other rads may pinhole aswell.

Thank you all.

I managed to get another radiator which is much closer to the original size and fits width-wise almost perfectly - however, it has now introduced another problem and that is that the pipes now don't project enough from the wall, the new radiator is so much deeper than the original (it has side panels and a grill where the original one didn't and was much thinner.

Nightmare.

Can you not get the rads anymore wlthout all the 'boxing' around it? I've not beeb able to find any :(

Oh well, looks like I'll have to bleed the system and change the pipework!!! Argh! - Cheers

easiest option?
get a plumber in.

quickest?
get a plumber in.

you could do it yourself. it will not be either of the above.

If it's anything like around here you'll be lucky to get a plumber to
even be interested in such a job so you end up having
to do it yourself.

You will have to drain down and do the job properly.
The piping will need adjusting.
New valves ideally.

If you are not used to soldering you will need to get someone in.

You could use plastic connectors and copper pipe also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back