Need tips on colour scheme

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I have been given the task of decorating my grandmothers 3 bedroom terraced house. I've already tiled the kitchen and gone for a white colour scheme there and pained her stair case and bedroom doors white and wallpaperd her large bedroom.

But now I need to wallpaper her hallway. The hallway (downstairs and upstairs) has very high walls. She wont invest in a painter & decorator so it looks like I'm going to have to balance on the stairs with a ladder. Creepy. I need to put up about 10/11 rolls of wallerpaper on her hallway. Any advice on how I can manage to paper the high walls going up from her stairs?

I also need some advice on colour schemes. She wants plain paper without any designs or only a very small design that wont require me having to line up the paper. The paper is currently beige and green (stripes) and I'm hoping to do a modern look to brighten up her hallway as it looks dark and gloomy with the colour it currently is. Any tips on what colour I should go for? Her stair carpet is a deep blue and everywhere else is practically white.

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
stairs.JPG

This is how you get up there.

Why can't you just paint the existing paper?

As far as colours..... I'm a magnolia man, cause it goes with anything, doesn't go yellow (gloss paint) like white does and in my opinion doesn't look as cheap and harsh as white does.

gcol said:
stairs.JPG

This is how you get up there.

Why can't you just paint the existing paper?

As far as colours..... I'm a magnolia man, cause it goes with anything, doesn't go yellow (gloss paint) like white does and in my opinion doesn't look as cheap and harsh as white does.

Thats very good...are you going to colour it in? ;)

Try b an q..they have a range of papers with shiny backgrounds...but make sure you walls are in good nick first...remember, walls have to be very flat and smooth if you are going to use a light shiny paper that has hardly any pattern...otherwise they will shou every lump and bump

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone and thanks for your replies. I love the diagram! :D I'll try that but I'll blame you if I break something lol. :D

Yeah white does look very cheap. I did try painting a bit of the paper but it looked very strange and I could still see the design of the wallpaper underneath the paint.

I'll check out B&Q tomorrow and thank you again.

Before I forget - Any ideas on how much it would cost for a painter and decorator to do the wallpapering for me or the painting?

Depends where you are in the uk...expect to pay between 90 - 150 a day

Wow thats a bit steep. I'm from the West Midlands.

I'd guess at about a ton then...the prices in the big cities always tend to be more...the current going rate for a proper painter in London is about 150

Omg. Looks like I'm stuch doing all the work then lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back