Need to cut a plastic water butt in half

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old 200 liter plastic water butt which I'd like to cut in half and use the lower half as a large tub. It's like this:

it has a 5 inch vertical split down one side which I've tried to repair many times using many methods but none have worked so it's time to put it to another use.

Not really sure of the best way to cut it though. A jigsaw is perhaps the best option but I don't have one. Maybe a wood saw?

Edit: Thanks all, I eventually used a wood saw and it was much easier than expected.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would vote "jigsaw" for effectiveness. You can get one for less than £20. Alternatively, a handle that you can fix a reciprocating saw blade into would be cheaper. A regular timber push saw would work fine.

However you do it, I would suggest doing something to keep the split closed, for example, screw a piece of scrap timber across the split on the waste side of the cut. It would be annoying to have the crack progress into the part of the butt you wanted to keep. And there's nothing worse than have more crack in your butt than you wanted.

Sponsored Links
I would vote "jigsaw" for effectiveness. You can get one for less than £20. Alternatively, a handle that you can fix a reciprocating saw blade into would be cheaper. A regular timber push saw would work fine.

However you do it, I would suggest doing something to keep the split closed, for example, screw a piece of scrap timber across the split on the waste side of the cut. It would be annoying to have the crack progress into the part of the butt you wanted to keep. And there's nothing worse than have more crack in your butt than you wanted.

Excess butt cracking is of course not a great idea.

Thanks to you and the others for the suggestions.

I'd also pondered using my Dremel but as the cutting discs are so small it may take some time .......

IME a Dremel-type tool cutting plastic results in a glob of molten plastic due to the heat, caused by the speed. Sometimes it can weld itself back together again as the gap is so small.

IME a Dremel-type tool cutting plastic results in a glob of molten plastic due to the heat, caused by the speed. Sometimes it can weld itself back together again as the gap is so small.

Useful to know. I also had to drill some holes in the bottom and the drill bit completely gummed up with molten plastic and that was difficult to remove.

The secret to drilling plastic is a sharp drill at very low speed so it doesn't melt its way through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back