Guttering and Water Butt for Garden Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have had my shed a few months now, very happy with it, but I am thinking I should put some gutting around it and feed into Water Butts. I am thinking of using the standard 112mm Guttering and 68mm downpipe rather than the Mini fit. I guess I will need to put a piece of wood on the side of the shed to support the brackets,So, form the side of the shed to where the Roof comes down is 6.5mm, I have measured the bracket and they are approx 5mm thick before the actual bracket, so I guess I need a 6mm battern?
Where is cheapest \ best price to get guttering, on line or in DIY shop?
I have been looking at the water butts, wilkinsons do them, but no stock this time of year, next cheapest I can find is ebay or Wickes, any thoughts?

Many Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
i'm not a pro, but IMHO you need a board the length of the shed to attach the guttering brackets, as they need to be in a straight line. Attaching that to the shed is not a problem, screw into the uprights on the shed, or put timber batten inside to screw into. However, you seem to be working to extremely small tolerences.... did you mean 6.5mm? or 6.5 cm?

As for water butts, try the local council they might have a green policy and have some to shift, or try local firms for large barrels... or try local allotments, i.e. ask the old geezers if they have any spare... or just go and buy one you tight b*gger ;)

You can fit a 150mm x 19mm timber around 3 sides of your shed, fixed to the bottom of the roof with the felt laying in the guttering. Make sure you treat the timber before you fit it as it will be easier to do all sides and edges.

You can buy all your materials from wickes. It is a good idea to have an overflow on your water butt, as they will fill up very quickly at this time of year. Make sure you have a good fitting lid and don't let children play with it or near it.

Hope this helps

Andy

Thanks both!
Good idea about contacting council, might try water board as well, as I am thinking of using 2 water butts, it comes to a fair few quid!

I do get quite a bit of my DIY from Wickes, so that seems a good idea, you can always take back what you don't use, obviously only complete bits, I couldn't take back 1m that I had cut off the guttering that I don't need, but I will probably by more than enough angles etc and take back what I don't use.

Good idea about treating the timber battern, I had thought of that as I took lots of time treating my shed.

Thanks Again,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Thanjs Andy!
It's 8ft wide x 10ft deep,I was only going to put the betterning on the 2 sides, I was going to use a 90-deg Gutter angle on both sides, so that I can hide the water butts behind the shed.

Steve

Hi Steve,

You will need:
2 x 3m guttering
2 x stop ends
2 x stopped outlets
8-10 gutter brackets (placing 600mm apart or nearer)
4 downpipe angles (if downpipe goes straight in water butt)
1 x downpipe
Screws
2 x 150mm x 19timber
Brackets to secure timber to shed roof, making sure you don't screw the felt.

There is no point turning the corner and having the gutter outlet behind the shed as you can achieve the save job with the down pipe angles.

Also make sure the water butts are off the ground, so that a watering can can be put underneath and make sure the butts are level. As when they are full they will be very heavy.

Andy

Thanks againa Andy, now all I need is for it to stop raining long enough to do this :D

Steve

So, form the side of the shed to where the Roof comes down is 6.5mm,

this is my only concern... a 19mm board will mean the rain will miss the guttering?

as for water butts, consider getting more than one and joining them too.... ?

I bought the miniline guttering from B&Q and it’s been fine.

I sawed off some wood to reduce the overhang and attached the guttering to the shed directly.
I don’t know if this is the recommended method, but it’s simple and worked fine here.
I think the weight of the water will only really be a problem if you get a blockage.

I forgot to buy any offsets or any fancy parts for angling the downpipe into the butt; it just goes down at an angle from the outlet through the hole as there’s some natural give.

I used old paving slabs as the base.

Are there trees near the shed?
You can use the bottom of a small plastic bottle with holes/slits cut in it as an alternative to those leaf guards.

It’s amazing how much water you get; even collecting water from just half the shed roof.
2 chained water butts may well fulfil all your water needs.
I went for using only half the roof due to less cost and complexity and not being able to fit a water butt behind the shed.

I bought the water butt(and a compost bin) from a farm who have a sideline in collecting used food storage containers (probably from http://www.eastex.org.uk/) washing them and selling them on.
If there’s nothing like that locally, then the council or Tesco(during double clubcard voucher offer) or Wilkinson plus.
Postage makes eBay no good in this case unfortunately.
The water company offers are normally rubbish.
You could wait for them to be on offer somewhere. I take it people don’t buy them in the winter and the prices go down?
I got sick of waiting and endlessly trawling the internet in the end...

I have bought the 150mm x 19timber and was looking at how to attach it to the shed.

First Point

I have Windows(not opening, just let light in), one side of the shed, the 150mm timber will obstruct the light coming through the window,so do I
(i) Cut an upside down U shape in the timber where the window is, or
(ii) Cut the timber into pieces that go from the front to window 1, from window 1 to window 2, from window 2 to back?

Also, as my shed is 8ft x 10ft, the side panels are in 2 sections, on the outside of the shed there is a piece of timber (trim) to hide the joint and look tidy, there is the same on the front edge and back edge of the shed, so, do I put the timber between the pieces of wood ( my shed is T&G 12mm, so I guess as long as the screws don't go all the way through, should be ok.
OR, do I cut a reassess in the 150mm timber the thickness of the trim?

Thanks again.

Steve

Sorry, have been out a few days!

It's more South Cambs than Herts (Post code is Herts, but I pay Council Tax to South Cambs), Melbourn, Between Royston and Cambridge.

I will see if I can get some pics, but depending on the weather, I might see if I can get the timber up today.
Ther are some sheds near me that I can take a look at to see what they have done!

Steve

Hi, was looking around on internet and saw this post. I put up guttering on my shed with Hall's Rainsaver. They have such easy guttering stuff for sheds. I am disabled and was able to install it within ten minutes. My shed is a small allotment type one so I got the 6ft kit and it works really well. I know you're probably sorted now, but had to reply. :D

Hi, was looking around on internet and saw this post. I put up guttering on my shed with Hall's Rainsaver. They have such easy guttering stuff for sheds. I am disabled and was able to install it within ten minutes. My shed is a small allotment type one so I got the 6ft kit and it works really well. I know you're probably sorted now, but had to reply. :D

Hi CelineSmith,
Thanks for sharing your experience! Are you in any way related to this person who is the sales and social media coorinator (sic) for Hall's Rainsaver?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back