Need to fill holes in wall and ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a flat and the previous tenants appear to have gone to town with their wall hangings. There are lots of holes drilled into the walls with plastic studs inserted. (a) Do I need to remove these studs before filling, and if so how do I remove these studs and (b) what do I use to fill up the hole, i.e. what type of filler and tools (such as scraper... or other suck like)??

As you can tell, I am not a regular DIYer, so any advice is much appreciated.

Also, they seem to have gone to town with a ceiling in one of the bedrooms. I think they had some sort of hanging item where they drilled a hole in the ceiling to hang it up. Like a model plane for example. I do not know what used to be there, cos they've taken it away, but left the hole there. What do I use to fill this hole up with. It's not huge - slightly bigger than a regular drill hole, but while I am at it, I thought I'd fill that up too.

Thanks in advance to those that respond. :)

Sponsored Links
To remove the plastic raw plugs in the wall:
Use a standard wood screw, turn it two or three times in to the plug so it grips and pull it out.
The holes can be filled in by using Filler and standard Filling Knife or scraper, may need a light sand down with sand paper afterwards.

If the holes are large you will need put some Joint Tape , over the hole
(this can be cut be using scissors or sharp blade such as stanley knife) and again fill out, this may take two or three application of filler, light sand and reapplying once dry (this will depend on size of hole and any shrinkage whilst drying)
Remove any loose plaster or debris around the hole before starting, surface area is best clean of dust and grease

So Materials=
Filler (ready mixed or powered)
Sand Paper (150-180 grit)
Joint Tape (if needed)

Tools=
Screw
Filling Knife
scissors or Stanley Knife

I'd just add, a wet coat of PVA (same as kids glue) helps the filler bond to the damaged plaster.

Sponsored Links
If you get that pva on the walls then make sure you wipe it off with a wet cloth or you will have marks that dont take paint very well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back