Need to fix a leak on pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Valiant ecoTec plus 415 boiler.
I need to fix a leak on the rad pipe that's leaking on to the kitchen ceiling.
I know how to solder I'm just unsure how to drain this system down.
Could someone give us a step by step guide from start to finish

Sponsored Links
you can't solder a pipe that is wet, even after you've drained it.

although there are some tricks to drying one, start by considering a brass compression joint.

The make of boiler doesn’t matter but before you start to repair the pipe, you need to drain out the system to below that of the leak. Look for a drain off point on the ground floor, connect a garden hose to that and drain it outside. If it’s an open system, you’ll need to turn the feed off or tie the float up in the header tank. As said, a compression joint would be better if you can’t get all the water out of the pipes. When done, just refill the system not forgetting to add inhibitor.

Sponsored Links
Turn electrical supply to boiler off. Isolate the water supply if open vented system, then find a drain point on the system, all the low points should be fitted with a draincock. Attach hose and lead to outside, put a receptacle underneath the draincock in case of any leaks, open draincock and let water run out until it stops. Once you're sure leaking section is empty, close draincock. Repair leak, and refill system. If happy leak is now fixed, remove hose and pack away. Add fresh inhibitor to replace that lost. Turn boiler back on.

Plenty of nuts on here.

Saying that, I bet you've had your hands on plenty of nuts in the past few years.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back