Leaking bath waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a new bathroom suite fitted, and I've discovered a small leak between the flexible plastic waste pipe and the right-angled pipe joining the bath.

As you can probably tell from the above description, I have little-to-no idea when it comes to plumbing. But, as I'm reluctant to get the fella who fitted it back (for a number of reasons), I wondered if anyone could tell me what the most likely cause of the leak is, and in easy step by step instructions, guide me to fixing it if it's simple.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not the best of descriptions but it sounds like the overflow pipe. If it is kind of wrinkled and black then I'm on the right track. Generally they are nasty cheap affairs but you could probably do worse than easing it of the connection and putting plenty of silicone sealant around it before putting back and leaving for 24 hours. Ensure its dry and clean first and use sealant meant for sanitory fittings.

on top of basses description does the pipe go verticly up [just wondering if it could be a normal junction]

another thing to consider is get the person who fitted it back in to repair his or her work

Sorry for the poor description,
Its definitely not the overflow, its the main waste - which goes from the plug, down into a small U-bend - then joins the flexible pipe to the outside wall.
Its at this joint where the leak occurs.

Am I right to believe that there is a metal ring inside which presses up against the rubber washer to seal the joint? Could one of these components be missing?

Using a sealant is an option - but is it not better to fix the cause?

Sponsored Links
Its a plastic ring normally just doitup a tad, (the nut that is) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back