Bath Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i've made a mess of fitting the chrome bath waste. I put silicone sanitary sealant between the waste and the rim of the bath and then tightened the 'plastic' backnut. After filling the bath a little with the plug in, i have a leak. :cry:

Can i remove the waste and clean off the silicone and re-make it or should i buy a new waste.

can you also please tell me how long it takes for silicone to go off, as i only left it for about half hour before testing

many thanks

Sponsored Links
It should be easy to clean the old silicone off the waste - no need for a new waste kit.

What type of kit do you have? Does the overflow not run into to waste, under the bath? If so, why do you have a "backnut"? :confused:

i have a MACDEE bath combi-waste.
I've taken out the waste and cleaned off the silicone.

There are two plastic washers and one plastic nut to tighten.
Should i put one of the washers on the bath side of the waste, silicone the washer and the chrome waste to the bath hole and put on the other washer and plastic nut to the other side.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I do what Kev does, which to use a poly washer under the bath before the backnut goes on. When using silicone this helps stop gunge getting all over the threads.

On the upper side of the bath, I wouldn't normally use any washer unless there happen to be some instructions with the trap kit that show one being fitted, and only fit it if it looked like the right thing to do.

I don't normally wait long to test it - with only an inch or so of water you won't push the sealant out, but I'd wait at least 24 hours before filling the bath entirely.

thanks guys, no instructions with the kit so i'll follow what you both do. Off down the shed now for some polly washers. thanks again

Poly washers.

This is a polly:

701855-Polly-the-pirate-sorry-Parrot-0.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back