Need to move gas & electricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have received planning permission for an extension and I need to get the meters moved.

The electricity is on the left side of the property but will need to be mounted on a temporary board at the boundary line on the same side during works. It will then need to be moved to the outside wall on the same side afterwards.

The gas meter is attached to the outside on part of the property which is being demolished. I suspect that the gas pipe runs under where we will be excavating and building the garage. Ideally, it needs to be capped off in the road and then subsequently relocated to a similar area it is now (but on a new outside wall).

The builder says he can install 4" service ducting for new gas services, but any idea who I need to contact to get a quote for such works and are there any tips on how to play what I imagine to be an expensive game?

Regards
Peter

Sponsored Links
I think you have little choice but to contact the Utility suppliers. There is little that can be done by others as the services are the responsibility of the utility companies up to and including the meter(s).

National Grid Gas charged approx £800 last year to provide a new service to connect a property for the first time. This covered supply and fit of an external meter box and excavation at the main and meter box. A 'mole' was used to 'tunnel' to allow the service to be run without trenching through the property.

If memory serves me correctly there may have been some reduction in cost offered if the excavation on the property was done by others, but it actually proved cheaper and less disruptive in this case to let NG do the entire job. Moling certainly minimised the reinstatement required.

You will then however require a Gas safe engineer to connect from the new meter position to the existing gas carcass. I think you may also require a consumer unit fitted it the required position before the electricity company will fit a meter etc and connect a supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back