Moving Gas and Electric Metre problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am building a two storey extension onto the side of my house, I have permission etc but seem to be coming up against problems getting the meters moved.

I just literally need the gas and the electric meters moved a mere 1/2 Metre along as they lie on the side in the way where the wall will be built.

The electric board seem ok about it, but the gas board don't seem to know anything, and won't send anyone out to estimate or anything, also I want the box rebate in, and they won't do that... so how can I do it if I ain't allowed to touch nothing?

Help Appreciated!

please note 10 a

Sponsored Links
The Gas Meter must be `positioned exactly where the gas service enters the house, so that if there is an escape of gas, it can be turned off at that point. So to move the meter, it must be disconnected, the service cut off outside, moved along the necessary distance, and then reentered into the house at the new position. The meter cannot be just moved along the wall inside the house. All this is of course chargeable to you, and Transco shoud be contacted to give you a quotation.
If you have already contacted them, and no response, you are entitled to approach them again, and should do so as soon as possible.
If the position is suitable they usually prefer meters to be in boxes, so they can be read from outside the house.

We had a simlar building job done last year. We left the elec meter where it was as the old house wall has become part of a utility space.
We had to get the gas meter moved as it was a meter box sunk in the floor.
Contact Transco and they will send you a form to complete. The cost is based on a point scorring system. The basic cost for moving the meter ( upto 2m) is about £300. If you want it built in or they have to dig up concrete to get to the supply pipe it gets realy expensive.

Poor comunication is typical cos transco subcontract the work to a surveryer, and the work is contracted to a pipeline contractor ( advent?). It took us about 8 weeks to sort it all out and get it done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back