Side extension - Scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my gas & electric meters at my gable end of my semi. I'm looking to build a 2 storey side extension (garage & above a 3rd bedroom), do I need to have these meters moved elsewhere? or can I build my garage with the meters intact?

Sponsored Links
I would guess you will have to get them moved, because they were placed outside so they could be read without needing to have the householder at home.

we do online meter reading now. its 2010!
So why is it that when building new dwellings it is a planning stipulation that the meters are accessible without entering the dwelling? Welcome to reality! This only applies to new dwellings and I do not pretend to know the answer to the OPs original question.

Sponsored Links
Do you really have on-line meter-reading or you just think you do ?

I doubt it .

Submission of meter readings online does occur but you cant beat physically checking the meters in-situ which in anycase will be required should disagreements occur, which they do. There will also be a core number of customers who cannot or will not bother to read their own meters and the services need to be able to check them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back