Boiler flue within new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm building a single storey extension onto the gable end of a property

I've got the shell up and just about to put the roof on. It's a vaulted pitched roof.

The boiler flue currently comes out of the gable end approx 2 meters high

Is there anyway you can temporarily redirect a flue. I'm not looking to knock through the gable end until the new year and eventually a new boiler will be installed within the extension with a flue on a different wall.

There is an opening (1800 wide) within the extension about 1.5 meters away from the flue

Not sure how best to do it

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Thanks, will check the make. Think it's a greenstar 32.

If I recall, its 6m for a 100mm flue and 10 or 15m for a 125mm flue horizontally or vertically. Each bend counts as 1m.

Needs to be done by a Gas Safe engineer, and will require properly supporting and terminating as if its the final position - ie not just hanging and poking out the opening randomly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both

Below is where it sits within the extension, so the flue is on the gable of the existing house

The room won't be used until the boiler is moved which is when we will knock through into the main house

If we were to leave the openings fully open (not fit the doors, each opening 1800 wide) could we still add the roof?

Don't mind a hole in the roof but need to obviously tile from the bottom up and add membrane etc so tricky to patch later

Boiler will eventually move to the left side of the door on the side of the house

1698920136013.png

Thanks, will get an engineer over to have a look as I'm stuck without a roof otherwise :)

The boiler needs air input, and that may not mean the exhausted air lingering in the enclosed space. But yes, get an engineer and a certificate, not just a "Yeah mate, that will be OK".

By the time you've paid for flue extensions etc you might be better getting the new boiler fitted and weatherproofing it.

Thanks all

Just didn't want to knock through the gable yet but may be able to just do a small hole in order to runs the pipes through for now in order to install the boiler and make everything watertight

Another thought is a vertical flue through the roof as below.

Obviosuly getting someone out but the below could be better as it would direct the flue away from the side of the house too.

Are vertical flues ok to use?

1699009593136.png

Thanks again

Vertical flues are fine - a bit more expensive plus the flashing through the roof.

I like your drawing, at first I was going to warn you not to leave your hammer up there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back